Author Topic: One limb much weaker than the other  (Read 1768 times)

Offline raylbird

One limb much weaker than the other
« on: March 15, 2016, 08:15:51 pm »
For some reason with Hickory more than any other wood, for me, one limb will often be much weaker than the other for no apparent reason. I normally thin the stronger limb until it is a lot thinner than the weaker limb. I am curious how others handle this problem.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: One limb much weaker than the other
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 09:21:40 pm »
Don't worry about the thickness. Tiller each limb so both limbs bend evenly and together. Get them bending together early in the process so you can concentrate of even tiller and achieving the desired draw weight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 10:10:45 pm »
I think this happens most often on dense high stiffness white woods that need to be tillered thin and wide in the limb. I have noticed the same thing sometimes on black birch bows.

I think the necessary thinness can exaggerate differences in the wood, limb to limb because it isn't "averaged out" by more wood thickness.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 04:48:44 am »
Growth rings get tighter as you move up the tree. :) A little denser wood. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline raylbird

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 06:31:15 am »
Thanks for the replies, I was beginning to think I was doing something wrong or there might be a better fix. Most of my bows tend to come  out with identical limb thickness but some of the Hickories will have one limb noticeably thinner and just appear wrong.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 07:29:03 am »
I have had this same thing happen with white ash.  It causes some confusion.  I had a couple that got so thin that I had to take wood off the sides on 1 limb to get it tillerred properly.