Author Topic: from the firewood stack...  (Read 1534 times)

Offline le0n

from the firewood stack...
« on: June 28, 2016, 12:36:43 am »
... into a new tool.

i got a "new to me" toy and turned my first piece of wood:

a pressure flaker with a beefy handle.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: from the firewood stack...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 03:57:22 am »
Nice job, Nice flaker. I love my lathe , don't use it as much as I once did but always enjoy it when I do. :)
Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 06:31:12 am »
Nice le0n. One of my buddies has a wood lathe and he really make some beautiful stuff. Bowls, Chalices, vases. Always looks like interesting hobby. I believe he spends a lot of time getting his wood properly dried so it doesn't split on him later.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 09:58:09 am »
I want one bad. I'm sure I would get right on it and use it a lot for the first little while, and then it would sit. But I still want one bad. That, and a drill press. I can't drill straight to save my hide.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 11:42:07 am »
When my dad passed away in 1990 he left me a few bucks so I bought a metal lathe. I was building a car at the time and had lots of use for it. Since then it has become an extremely handy tool to have. I wouldn't have thought that I would have much use for it in archery but for arrow work it's great. I don't think a week goes by that I don't use it for something.

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 12:30:28 pm »
Le0n that's nice!
By the way, got myself some pieces of Guava wood to fit your copper tips in it 😉👍
~Isaia

Offline le0n

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 01:36:31 pm »
thanks, guys.

it was gifted to me. honestly, i can't say that i would ever have bought one. never even dreamed of needing one. but now that it's here, i think i'll find some use for it.

That, and a drill press. I can't drill straight to save my hide.

same here. the flaker handle was made and afterward it even had a pilot hole from being mounted on the lathe. i still managed to offset and angle the hole for the copper tip  >:(, hah hah

that's ok, because ferr-l-tite works wonders for the negative space after making the hole a little big while 'straighten' things out.

although, i did see on youtube a drill bit chuck of some sort that you can put on the lathe to properly drill in to the ends of things.

By the way, got myself some pieces of Guava wood to fit your copper tips in it 😉👍

neat ;)