Author Topic: Going to try making my first blackpowder pistol  (Read 1629 times)

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
Going to try making my first blackpowder pistol
« on: August 23, 2016, 09:52:20 am »
My birthday is coming up and I've decided to make a blackpowder pistol.

I looked around through about a dozen sites from Bud's Gun shop to private want ads on armslist and ended up at Deer Creek Products. I've got a hard budget of ~$200 for the kit itself (I can go a little over with shipping since there shouldn't be any sales tax) so I've narrowed it down to two models.

I'd like to stick to a .50cal since eventually I might also get a rifle and that will be .50 as well so I can just get one mold for my shots.

Here's what I'm trying to decide between.

The Kentucky

http://www.deercreekproducts.net/store/p675/Kentucky_Pistol_Kit_50cal._Perc..html

And the American

http://www.deercreekproducts.net/store/p669/American_Pistol_Kit.html

The American is actually the old CVA kit that isn't made anymore. Deer Creek sells all of the replacement parts so they've cobbled together a few of the original kits from parts and sell them, minus the original packaging.

I'm leaning toward the American because of the price but I'd love some opinions.

Offline jaxenro

Re: Going to try making my first blackpowder pistol
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 10:34:37 am »
The American is sort of the old hawken or mountain pistol I like it better. Expect to do some serious work these aren't as finely fitted as a pedersoli kit for example or a Great Plains pistol.

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 11:28:05 am »
Yeah I know I'll have a MAJOR amount of fitting to do with the American especially since it's likely a 30 year old CVA kit with mismatched parts.

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 12:08:01 pm »
I made a few of the mountain pistols even when new you needed to fiddle with the lock to get it all to line up

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 02:23:04 pm »
E-mailed the poor lady at customer service probably 10 times this morning and it turns out they hadn't updated their prices so the 50cal Kentucky kit was only like $10 more than the old CVA kit.

Ended up getting the .50cal Kentucky Pistol Kit, so Pappy I guess I've got a new project. :D

Should be here by Friday, going to probably start on it sometime the following weekend, will definitely post pictures as I go, and video!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 09:11:09 pm »
Yippee!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 10:05:07 pm »
It's an easy kit to put together. My first Black Powder was the Colonial Kit from CVA, $65. The triggers on the Spanish kits rattled a little but mine is a tack driver in .45 cal. Even killed a hog with it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 09:29:29 am »
Man I wish those kits were still that cheap. Although to be fair they did have their version of the CVA colonial kit for like $130 so that's not too bad considering they're not made any more.

Yeah I'd like to take a shot at some game with it possibly so I went with the Kentucky because it seemed to be a bit more accurate and adjustable (sights-wise) than the CVA copy of the Lyman Plains Pistol.

SO EXCITED! Shipping says it arrives tomorrow but I want to wait until I have a chance to head back to Twin Oaks to start messing with it so I can have the expert help. :D