Author Topic: My BBO PITA bow  (Read 2214 times)

Offline Arrowbuster

My BBO PITA bow
« on: September 18, 2016, 10:13:20 am »
This is my 2 nd shootable bow. I have fought this thing all summer. It has taught me a lot. First lesson learned when you have a beautiful osage stave that's relatively flat with a ring chased do not glue a slat of bamboo on it. Idiot move I know. This bow got a major check from my steam box. You can see in pic how I repaired. I glued crack then wrapped with silk thread. My next boneheaded move was after I glued bamboo on. I used TB 3, it adhered well. To try to put bend in tips using a heat gun. I got the bend and looked good and stayed together until the first time I tried to shoot this bow. It held for a while then It delaminated at the tips. I suspect heat broke glue down. So in disgust I threw it in corner. I asked for some advice on here and smooth on was recommended. Well let me tell you getting that boo off when you want to is not easy. I spent hours with heat gun and a stiff putty knife. TB3 is good stuff. So I got it off. Cleaned it up and tried the smooth on product. It worked very well and probably a much better fit for what I was trying to do.
  Anyway I saved the bow, if anyone is wondering about my title, BBO PITA the pita is pain in the a**.
Shes 60 inches pulls 48@27 and shoots hard. I know the tiller isnt spot on but it shoots great with no hand shock.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 07:12:24 pm by Arrowbuster »

Offline FilipT

Re: My BBO PITA bow
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 10:15:32 am »
Looks really good for the second bow!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 11:07:19 am »
Looks to me like you won that hard fought battle. Bend looks good to me, nice bow. I like the way you stuck with it and came out with a nice bow when I'm sure you had thoughts of giving up. Nice job
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Arrowbuster

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 12:56:18 pm »
Forgot to post pic of check.

Offline helmet

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 02:05:57 pm »
very cool, it looks good to me.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 09:04:46 pm »
Very nice looking bow, Your tiller looks dead on and the bow is fantastic, especially for a second bow.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 09:15:16 pm »
I usually learn as much by my failures as my successes looks like you had a little of each with this one  :)

The end result looks good and I am guessing you learned quite a bit along the way

Offline Arrowbuster

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 06:44:11 am »
I also wanted to add that I put a stain on this bow before finishing out with tru oil. I used deck stain, the kind that repels water. Curious if anyone has tried this?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 07:10:37 am »
Good job! Very nice effort for such an early bow. My first 10 didn't look half that good.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 07:14:34 am »
Looks. Killer!nice one!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Arrowbuster

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 04:11:10 pm »
Thanks guys, I have a lot to learn but Ive got a great resource right here. You gentlemen are a wealth of knowledge. Lessens the learning curve.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 05:30:48 pm »
Bill, looks like you did good on that one .....
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 12:45:45 pm »
Way to see it through. Looks like you got more than lessons learned out of it too. Very nice second bow!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso