Author Topic: What is a "tic"  (Read 2019 times)

Offline Emmet

What is a "tic"
« on: December 12, 2016, 09:04:24 am »
When heat bending or even drawing too soon after heating sometimes I here a Tic.
Most of the times I can't see anything and they live and shoot fine. Sometimes not so lucky.

What exactly took place when i does.

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: What is a "tic"
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 09:33:01 am »
Sometimes it is the string popping back into the groove, sometimes not.

My nots have always been impending doom for said bow. When I hear a "tink" there is always a crack somewhere, sometimes hard to find, but it is there.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 09:45:41 am »
Sometimes it's the back fibers separating from each other. Not like a splinter, more like a drying check or wind damage that doesn't appear until some stress is applied, especially after heat treat since more stress is out on the back. Those can be hard to find since they usually close up when the bow is unbraced. With those is jus yet open them up and full with super glue, then let it close back up. Sometimes I'll wrap them sometimes I don't

Kyle

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 10:34:31 am »
All I know for sure is a tick are usually never good in my world of wood bows. I have seen it as Eric said, string in nock but most of the time it turns out very bad.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 10:52:36 am »
It's a break in the fibers, often very tiny. You can find it if you look closely enough.

gutpile

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 11:36:05 am »
rub cotton ball around area..it will pick up slightest splinter..gut

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 11:44:24 am »
I'm hard of hearing and have tinnitus in my right ear. But, if there is a "tick" when I draw back the bow, I hear it loud and clear... :o  :(

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 12:11:39 pm »
I'm hard of hearing and have tinnitus in my right ear. But, if there is a "tick" when I draw back the bow, I hear it loud and clear... :o  :(
Yep, me too. usually followed by a kapow. I have had it happen when some cambium was left on the bow with Vine Maple and HHB.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 12:19:44 pm »
Had it on the apple bow I'm working on right now, so I took the bark off and haven't heard it since. Mind there is a 6" long split in the (bendy) handle runs up and down the grain, so could just as easily be the crack growing as the bark separating.  Flooded it with cyano and crossing all my fingers  :) Still only at floor tiller, plenty of time for it to go bang....