Author Topic: Please help a newbie evaluate cedar logs  (Read 4185 times)

Offline justsomedude

Re: Please help a newbie evaluate cedar logs
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2017, 04:19:10 pm »
That big knot mid limb would not be fun. Mid Handle would be ok.
Big Juniper is tough as it is often several small trees grown around each other.
And you start finding them when you split it.

Offline justsomedude

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2017, 04:20:54 pm »
It is a good idea to practice working down some scrap wood. I roughed down two that I ended up using for firewood. Learned quite a bit in the process.

Offline Whiskeyjet

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2017, 07:47:32 pm »
I like the 1st and last pics. HOw long are those? That is ERC. Probably lots of knots under the bark but still looks pretty straight and I would keep them if I had em in my hands.
I do agree though. Probaly some better woods around for starting out

Sadly, the first goes with the second. It got very thin down the stretch. The last is one end of the half that has a horrific knot. Bark came off easy as pie, I'll let them dry and see what I can do someday when I've practiced more. Might work better as billets, the knot is pretty spectacular. My larger logs are much worse. Haven't split them yet.  All are over 6 feet long but one has a heck of a bend and the other is more like 4 branches that fused. 

Offline MulchMaker

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2017, 08:17:43 am »
After you get some experience with a few bows, if I were you I'd pick out a stave post pics of it on here with some details of those problem spots on here. I'm sure you will get some answers on how to remedy them . I'm knee deep into my first bow and with lots of good advice I might not even break it...Good luck on the path you have chosen, ERC makes a beautiful bow as you can see from all the wonderful bows posted on this site.

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2017, 09:18:06 pm »
It's almost impossible to find clean ERC, and that definately is ERC.

I usually end up sinew backing my ERC and that seems to work well.