Author Topic: What Weight to Shoot  (Read 7862 times)

steve25

What Weight to Shoot
« on: March 02, 2008, 12:59:17 am »
All, I'm new to trad bow and have been invited to my first shoot. I will borrow a bow and plan on  great fun. My question is, I plan on doing monthly 3d shoots. I also plan to go after deer. What draw weight should I consider? 40/45. I'm 55 and if I spend big bucks for a good bow I want to be able to draw it for a few years.

Offline david w.

Re: What Weight to Shoot
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 01:05:11 am »
go with the heaviest draw yo can shoot acurately at 25 yards before falling off

but if you want to shoot it when youre old >:D  i would go in the 40# range
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 01:23:18 am »
 50 #'s will take deer sized game and thin skinned game. Ifn ya can place yer arra where ya want it will kill everything ya probably will hunt. Ya dont need heavy weight draws its placement of the arra that matters. Ifn ya practice with 50 #'s you can shoot it fer many years. Your bodies muscles will adapt and become stronger. Good luck........bob

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 10:23:40 am »
Check your state regs to see what the minimum draw weight for hunting is-it's 40# here, but I'd go with 45-50# if possible. That's a good range that will put an arrow through a deer, and still be comfortable to shoot on a 30-target 3D range.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 11:58:49 am »
Steve I am not really sure of the State regs are here in Mo I wouldn't go under #40 I do know that stone points are also legal in this State

Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 04:44:13 pm »
Roughly 45# seemed to be a favorite of Native Americans. Considering that, I would say it is probably one of the best choices for hunting bow weights.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 06:10:44 pm »
Indians had no favorite weight. That being said they just made a bow from what they had. They liked around 50 lbs er maybe a little less. It can be handled easily and killed game readily. Have ta remember they liked ta get close like 10 yards ifn they could . Most would not shoot over 20 yards but just figured a way ta get closer and if they could not just didnt shoot ;)........bob

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 07:54:24 pm »
Well Steve whats wrong with the weight bow you got lol  >:D >:D ;D
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 08:30:39 pm »
Steve how is that bow working out for you , do you have your quiver made yet ?

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 09:08:46 pm »
Steve if you get on the web I am going to try and get back sat to go to the shoot this sun
                                                                                                          Dennis

Joe M

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 01:40:06 am »
All, I'm new to trad bow and have been invited to my first shoot. I will borrow a bow and plan on  great fun. My question is, I plan on doing monthly 3d shoots. I also plan to go after deer. What draw weight should I consider? 40/45. I'm 55 and if I spend big bucks for a good bow I want to be able to draw it for a few years.

Steve,

I'll be 52 at the end of this month, but I don't think age is that big of factor when considering what bow weight you can pull effectively right now.  I build my own bows and try to shoot year round.  If I miss some bow outings do to poor weather, I'll warm up with a #40 longbow, move to a #45 bow after a while, then it doesn't take long to work my way back to my #52 longbow.

I realize you're probably looking to buy just one bow, so I would suggest trying a #45 bow and seeing what you think.  There may be a little pain before the gain, just be careful not to strain... ;)

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 01:49:30 pm »
Spend big bucks? You don't need to for a good bow.....all it takes is a stick and a string. And a couple of tools. :)
I think that 45lb would suit you well for quite a while.
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 05:17:13 pm »
Sean makes a good point. Lighter bows are less finicky in construction- I chopped out a 45# elm bow and had it tillered in a half hour. Ugly little stick, but it slung a matched arrow satisfatorily :).

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2008, 12:27:03 am »
Personally, I hunt with 50-55#, both recurves and longbows. That's for everything... deer, elk, moose, small game. Hunting regs here (Saskatchewan, Canada) are #40 at your draw length. I also use two blade broadheads & heavy arrows.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 10:22:23 pm »
i agree with the majority. i shoot a 45 elb. it is just a tad underpowered, so a 50 should be great. my grandpa (63) had no prollem shooting my 65 lb long before i broke it :'(. so i think you would have no prollem drawing a 50. good luck, let us know what you go with.
lets just shoot it