Author Topic: Spring Cambium Removal?  (Read 2209 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Spring Cambium Removal?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 11:59:55 am »
DC I turned it so pressure was high water flow was low. It's a pretty good power washer, we use it for cleaning our farm equipment. I just wish I had tried it before I "carefully " scrapped some more off. Power washer was much safer for back than my "carefully" scrapping
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 12:10:47 pm »
BJ, you did good.

Those types of beetles I have seen many times when I didn't remove the bark even for just a couple weeks, and the wood is fine, BUT!!!

As a warning to others, I have debarked elm, found stuff like that, made a bow soon after nad been fine, HOWEVER, if I left it around a few months, I always came back to the stave full of holes anyway.  It's like the eggs are there, the drying retards their turning into grubs, but eventually they do and will eat the wood, too, or maybe it's a different beetle, but if you see that wiggly pattern, don't dawdle on the bow.

As for tools, you wouldn't believe the hodge-podge of weird stuff I have accumulated over the years, and it all works, and I always go back to each of them eventually for some little task.   If you have a good vise, I chase rings on the regular with a light mallet and a big sharp chisel, even.  On elm, just leave yourself some margin of error to scrape/file down to.  It won't usually tear-out down through nice distinct rings, but it can.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 12:19:33 pm »
Thanks springbuck, I'm thinking this is going to be the back of my bow. I really don't have any major violations just so very slight scrapes. I'm pretty sure I'd make a much bigger mess of it trying to chase a ring. I don't know if Paul treated bark with anything but he did a real nice job splitting it and I'm very appreciative for it.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise