Author Topic: Removing sealer from back?  (Read 1867 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Removing sealer from back?
« on: January 31, 2017, 11:34:57 am »
I have another HHB bow about done and looking for a good way to remove Shellac. I believe I've read where guy's cleaned up backs for glueing with oven cleaner. I tried heavy duty degreaser on a little spot on a stave. It actually took the shellac and stain off. All my other bows I just used steel wool, but some didn't take stain very good.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Removing sealer from back?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 11:37:00 am »
Alcohol will remove shellac and/or a light sanding.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 11:43:58 am »
Thanks Pat, I was kind of suspecting that. I believe I'll get some and give it a try.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 11:56:11 am »
Im doing the same thing this week end on a osage back, I did it before whith denatured alcohol & it worked for the most part but realy had to rub hard & did some light sanding I got one of those pump plastic bottles & sprayed & keeped rubbing with fresh rags the alcohol just seems to keep
Thining it tell you get it all off
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 11:58:34 am »
Alcohol is the carrier for shellac. The shellac will dissolve when it comes in contact with the alcohol. It may leave a slight residue so light sanding might be in order so the wood accepts the stain. As always, do a test first.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 12:03:04 pm »
I haven't had much luck removing shellac with alcohol. Methyl hydrate is alcohol isn't it? I end up using lacquer thinner and xxx steel wool. Even then the back is darker than parts of the bow that have been worked. Or maybe that's normal, it's happened on all my bows. :)

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 12:07:24 pm »
 Pats got it.  Alky and steel wool.  Acetone will work, but is such a pain, and so toxic, evaporates so fast.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 09:42:29 am »
I just use a scrapper, very lightly. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 02:03:50 pm »
I shellac the back of every stave I cut with 3 or 4 coats, I use a scraper to remove the shellac. Shellac is very brittle and scrapes off easily. A light scraping to remove the shellac and to take any remaining tool marks out, a little sanding to finish the back and remove the scraper marks and you are good to go.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 02:10:03 pm by Eric Krewson »