Author Topic: Help Identifying Rock  (Read 1849 times)

Offline CDC1911

Help Identifying Rock
« on: March 04, 2017, 11:31:52 am »
Hello folks! I picked up this rock recently and I need help identify what it is and does it need heat treating. I am just starting out so any help would much appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: Help Identifying Rock
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 11:59:11 am »
Cd, just a quick guess with little info from where your located, I'm going to say looks like a Texas Amoeba type rock, some nee4d heat and some can be knapped raw. We have some Texas knapper on here that will probably be able to help ya a little more, That's my .02 worth :o Bob

Offline JEB

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 04:20:54 pm »
+2 on Texas rock. I'm out here now gathering stray rock.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 06:47:01 pm »
Looks like Texas tab to me.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline CDC1911

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 09:35:18 pm »
Thanks everyone for the replies. I am in North Florida and I got the rock from a guy selling knapping supplies and he might have told me but I don't remember. I know so little at this point it probably would not have mattered if he did tell me. I am have trouble with it and was wondering if heat treating it would help.

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 10:50:42 pm »
Looks like good Pedernales to me. Some call it Perd. It should be pretty good chipping as is, but if it is not cooked, it will get glossier with some heat, maybe 400 - 450 degrees F for a few hours. Beware that cooking whole rocks is risky. They tend to explode. If you knock it down into big flakes, they can be cooked with less danger of exploding. Try it raw first.

WA