Author Topic: Hickory Board Bow - where should I remove the last few pounds?  (Read 3546 times)

Offline Benedikt

Re: Hickory Board Bow - where should I remove the last few pounds?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2017, 09:09:12 am »
You should still try to let the outer limbs bend  more when building your next bow. It reduces handshock and makes your bow shoot alot smoother.

Nonetheless, turned out nice  ;)
A dream is not reality, but who is to say which is which?

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2017, 09:21:06 am »
A little trick to seeing the bend is to shut down the length of the bow and follow te curve. You want just a little angle so you can see the entire limb at once. With a little practice the flatter spots and harder bending spots are very obvious. It even works wth pictures just not wuite as easy. I'm using my phone so I just zoom in to get a full screen image and rotate my phone instead of the bow. Doing this you can see that there is a tighter curve in the first 1/4 of te limb than the rest.
With this front profile you want to see the curve start gentle at the fades,  and increase on sharpness till midlimb before slowly loosening the radius into the last 6" having only the faintest inkling of flex.

But in all its a nice bow thatll work well. Shoot it until you wear it out or it wears you out, then Make another.

Kyle

Offline txdm

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2017, 09:31:13 am »
You should still try to let the outer limbs bend  more when building your next bow. It reduces handshock and makes your bow shoot alot smoother.

Nonetheless, turned out nice  ;)

Thanks! Once I get my lighting straight and some white paper on my tillering backboard, I'm going to take another 4 or so lbs off this bow in the mid and outer limbs then temper it again. As long as it ends up 40-45# at 26" it will be right for my kit.

I built another bow a while back that was a shooter at 35# and it suffered from the other extreme-- too much bendy at the ends. All a learning process.