Author Topic: how many arrows?  (Read 12192 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: how many arrows?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 01:26:26 pm »
2 in the hand one on the bow. i do kill a lot of stone points though when i get bored and start stalking squirrels ;D
I have managed to break a few stump shooting.  :o
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline benjamin

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 10:37:52 pm »
thanks a ton. Glad to see I'm not the only one who plans for that stupid squirrel. ; )

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2008, 01:29:50 am »
I usually carry 3 broad head arrows(sometime they are store bought but lately they have been stone or trades) and a nutter with fluflus.
   Many years ago I was hunting with a recurve(store bought) and only had 3 arrows with me. The opportunity came and I loosed all three with little(no) positive results but the deer didn't leave the area. I climbed down from my stand, recovered the 3 arrows, climbed back into the stand and proceeded to loose them again...and again I was unsuccessful. >:(  This all took place in about a 5 minute span. ;D   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2008, 10:19:36 am »
Pat I would like to see a video of that encounter ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008, 01:20:02 pm »
Pat, I'd like to have seen that one, too. I remember reading one of Jim Hamm's stories about shooting every arrow he had at a deer and it was still standing there looking around. If any of y'all remember Tony (River Rat) that used to post on the old PA board, I loved the story he told about trying to kill a groundhog that was eating up his garden. He said he shot all his arrows at it until they were stuck in the ground all around it and about had it trapped in a pen of arrow shafts until it wiggled through them and waddled off.  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2008, 01:52:52 pm »
I carry obout eight arrows with me three two four broadheads and the rest small game, the most arrows that I have shot at one deer has been three and have had this happen twice now
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2008, 03:51:28 pm »
Benjamin, i carry as many as twenty arrows when i go into the hugh country, while stalking I have one in my bowhand and one knocked to the string.. having so many arrows allows me to hunt small game, fish and game birds while in pursuit of larger game .. and allows me to stay in the high country for longer periods of time hunting my favorite prey the majestic wapati .... hunting for your supper makes you a better hunter... if you get hungry enough you learn to stalk quieter and shoot straighter...in order to survive the wilderness... Mike a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Key

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2008, 05:19:20 pm »
I always carry one or two judios for stump shooting. When I hunt deer in my home state of Iowa I carry three broad heads. When I hunt hogs in Texas I carry six or eight broad heads. When I hunt elk in Idaho I carry 5 broads.

Off topic but I always carry a spare string for the bow I am hunting with. My broad heads are very sharp  ::)
Roger

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2008, 03:33:48 am »
My story above wasn't at a single but 6 bucks(from a big 6 pointer to a nub buck) following a hot doe, all in single file. My buddy Richard almost fell out of his tree stand about 100 yards away, he was laughing so hard.      On my first bow hunt ever, I loosed 3 times at a beautiful 8 pointer about 15 yards away. Each shot went over his back, he'd jump forward a bit and I'd shoot again. I wish the deer I hunt now were as dumb as they used to be.  ;D     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2008, 03:14:28 pm »
I carry quite a few....

10 small game arrows, 4 BH arrows, a BH arrow in a solo stalker on my bow and a stumpin' arrow with a judo.....

Seems like a lot, but in my homemade side stalker.....I don't even notice it.....
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline Postman

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2008, 03:21:09 pm »
I hear ya Pat B.... biggest buck I was ever in range of (second year hunting , age 18) chased a doe right past me, stopped, gave me a 20 yd broadside.  Quick, efficient killing shot on my part harvested the sapling a foot in front of his shoulder.

had a similar incident as the groundhog pen.... mom and future wife  were heckling me as I missed a bunny 5 times in our garden. Both still like to bring it up.  The term "Fudd" is liberally applied.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2008, 12:42:47 am »
postman, i hear you brother.... been there done that.. I once missed a six point bull elk two times at fifteen yards .... both arrows stuck in a tree two inches above his shoulder...he  just walked off and bugled at me one last time before ghosting into the dark timber... I left those two unlucky arrows stuck in the tree... Hawk...a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2008, 02:34:10 am »
when deer hunting i take two. i belive that every man deserves a second chance, and if he screws that up, oh well. the end. i know, kinda silly, but aint none of us here exactly "average" either.
lets just shoot it