Author Topic: New from Georgia  (Read 1622 times)

Offline jasam

New from Georgia
« on: April 06, 2018, 10:00:41 pm »
Hey my name is Jason and I’m from south Georgia. Been shooting built long and flatbows for a number of years. Recently decided I want to try and make my own. I have all of the tools I need and hickory,chokecherry,and several variety of oaks are abundant. Already decided my first attempt will probably be a failure but ready to make that leap. Really would like to harvest a hog and black bear with a bow of my own making. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Anyone else near the Okefenokee on here?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: New from Georgia
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 10:08:45 pm »
Welcome, Jason. Ask all the questions you need to ask and post lots of pics.
We used to spend lots of time a Steven Foster State Park and Fargo many years ago. A good friend was Park Superintendent and another friend with the Game and Fish in Fargo and Waycross. Good memories.  I grew up in Savannah.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 10:12:59 pm »
welcome aboard bud. You are in the right place to get help. I would start out buying the traditional bowyers bible 1. to get started but i would by vol. 1-4 as soon as you can. There is great info in them to get started and tricks of the trade. I would also look into finding build ins close by. The calendar on this site or in the magazine usually posts where some are held. I am a bit far to give you hands on help. I am from Pennsylvania but you can ask me any questions at all if you need help. The Tennessee classic is coming up . I would try to go to it if i were you. You can pick up dry seasoned wood and there will be guys building there no doubt. You can also pick up any other tools or supplies needed to get started.

Offline willie

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 11:59:42 pm »
If you are near valdosta, look up murray gaskins

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 03:03:36 am »
Above all things, I recommend making the trip up to the TN Classic...about a month from now.  You can learn in 3 days what would take you years on your own.  I make the trip every year from S Fl.
Good luck!
1’—>1’

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 05:47:14 am »
Welcome to PA Jasam, I second what Parnell said. Try to get to a meet. It's so helpful to meet and work with other bowyers. Also they are great places to get supplies you will need. I think you've got the right aditude as long as you still try to make the first one a shooter. Most first are not lasts. It can be very addictive. If you have access to wood I'd suggest you start harvesting and preparing for curing staves. Also lots of tools and cauls you could make that will help you in the future. Keep your first design simple and long enough that it's not to stressed. Ask questions and post progress pictures.
You might get more than one different answer but that doesn't mean there wrong. Just sort through them and pick what you think works for you. There is a whole vocabulary to learn and some of the stuff we talk about you might not understand until you do it.
Good Luck you can do it.
Bjrogg
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 09:02:57 am by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 07:21:25 am »
Welcome to PA. It is a great place to be.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 11:06:04 am »
If you are near valdosta, look up murray gaskins

Falconry season is pretty much wrapped up for him and he may have time for playing with bows now.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 11:16:50 am »
Welcome aboard, Jason.  The folks on this site are very helpful and knowledgeable.  There are many things to try to understand, but remember the only dumb question is the one you don't ask!  Sometimes, though the question you ask isn't the one that's answered!  Oh, that is what happens when you talk to a deaf guy! O:) >:D!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 01:11:15 pm »
Thad Beckum lives in south GA but I'm not sure where. He's been making and hunting with primitive gear for many years. Google him.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 07:16:35 pm »
Thad Beckum lives in south GA but I'm not sure where. He's been making and hunting with primitive gear for many years. Google him.

Never met him but I really like his videos.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 07:45:35 pm »
Thad has done a few articles for PA Magazine, I think.

Offline jasam

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2018, 11:37:48 am »
Hey, thanks Pat B. Thad Beckum lives very close to me,up the coast a little ways. I don’t know how to contact him but it’s good to know someone is close. Thanks to everyone that offered encouragement and advice.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2018, 03:41:36 pm »
Google him. He may have a website or at least contact info.