Author Topic: Sealing apple wood question  (Read 1207 times)

Offline M2A

Sealing apple wood question
« on: May 05, 2018, 06:13:18 am »
Kinda a follow up question to a topic Gfugal had a week or 2 ago....

A few days ago I was lucky enough to cut a piece of apple, in fact we ran short on time so I'm heading back to my friends property after I type this to get the piece I had to leave there. An hour drive each way but I don't want to waste it, took too much work to get.

Right now apples are in full bloom here and I would expect for the bark to come right off. I have yet to make a bow from the wood right under the bark, white wood or not, I should have that opportunity here if I can dry it properly.

So I will have 2 logs 6-8 inches in diameter 70-80" long, ends will/are sealed with tight bond III and logs will be split . My question is what do you use for a sealer on the back and more importantly how would you remove that sealer when wood is dry and ready to work? Any other suggestions on seasoning apple would be appreciated. Thanks in advance Mike       

Offline Julian

Re: Sealing apple wood question
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 06:49:10 am »
Shellac is good sealer than can be very easily removed with a scraper or with a wipe with mineral spirits/alcohol.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 10:30:12 am »
I never de-bark timber til I'm ready to work it but we don't get  that many borers here.

Offline M2A

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 02:18:47 pm »
Thanks guys!

Julian, I did buy some commercial mixed shellac on the way home. I hope 3 coat will prevent any checking, then keep um in a cooler place for a while.

Stuckinthemud, I had borer problems with some winter cut hackberry 2 years ago that the bark was left on. I can do a good job screwing up a piece of wood myself, don't need bugs helping me out   :). But seriously, I may leave some with the bark on if i keep them in my shop. This is the 1st time i have cut white wood during the growing season and was looking forward to the potential that it would peal right off. I am curious how hard would it be to get off if left on till ready to work?

Anyways I did cut some walnut, i should be able to get something out of that. Also I believe 2 pieces of Blackhaw Viburnum, just to try.

IMG_1850 

[url=https://flic.kr/p/25LcNpf]
IMG_1851 

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 02:39:51 pm »
Nice haul!