Author Topic: making a sinew bowstring  (Read 955 times)

Offline jeffp51

making a sinew bowstring
« on: May 10, 2018, 07:25:24 pm »
I have been wanting to make a sinew bowstring for a while.  I've watched the videos that I think are out there.  I think I just have one question at this point.  How do I know how thick to make it for a given weight?  I have a bow that is about 45# that I want to put the string on.  Anyone with experience?

Offline paulsemp

Re: making a sinew bowstring
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 08:23:50 pm »
I've only made maybe four or five of them and it's definitely looks a lot bigger while making it then it will when it ends up stretched and dried. Most of the ones I've done serve just fine for 45 pound bow and  probably finished about 1/8 inch in diameter. they probably shrink to about a half their size from when they're wet. One of the most important things I've learned is to be consistent in thickness. It's very easy to end up with a thin spot. I'd much rather end up with a fat spot. It's truly amazing how strong they are.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 08:33:53 pm »
Heres some pics of one I made for a bow from a few years ago .  you may be able to get some sort of reference for thickness based off the pictures

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=53995.0

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 08:42:20 pm »
  Nice looking string Paul...! Like that bow also man...Takes a lot of patience to make them that nice...
                                                                                                                                                    Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;