Author Topic: primitive vine maple  (Read 2202 times)

Offline Greg DeJanes

primitive vine maple
« on: May 26, 2018, 02:28:27 pm »
I like this one so I'll share. It's vine maple 57 in. 45# at 25 in..  Fade is 1 5/8 to 5/8 in. I used leather dye to put some color on her with bear grease and bees wax as finish with simple leather wrap.

Had to go slow on this one because of the undulations. I decided to keep the outer limbs flat. Seems like a workable tiller for my 5ft. 9in. and 25" draw 45 lb. wt..

Did get some follow as expected from vine maple. So 1/2in. string follow. !/2 in. is tolerable to me though . Next time with vine maple I will put some reflex of about 2 in.

Want to thank Dave with Medicine Bow Woods. for a real nice stave.

Hope you like my primitive vine maple bow.

Offline Greg DeJanes

Re: primitive vine maple
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 02:35:57 pm »
more pics

Offline timmyd

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 04:02:04 pm »
very nicely done. I love character bows.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 07:53:39 pm »
Nice work.  ;)

The bottom limb looks like it's bending a little more than the top in your FD pic. Could be the angle though. Have you tried turning it the other way?
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Greg DeJanes

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 08:13:21 pm »
Notice in the before floor tiller pic I have a deflex out of the fade moving to a reflex portion before the anomelie at the end. The reflex is the source of the flat portion. It has bend but needed to allow for that reflex portion.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 08:34:48 pm »
Nice work.  ;)

The bottom limb looks like it's bending a little more than the top in your FD pic. Could be the angle though. Have you tried turning it the other way?
very nice job on a challenging piece!the bow seems to be pivoting back towards you to be a little picky
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Greg DeJanes

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 08:43:26 pm »
Bushboy ,
Yes I see that . I will have to look at this tomorrow. Hey I'm not the expert here so any help is appreciated. Seems to be okay shooting though ???

Thanks,
Greg

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 09:28:42 pm »
 Greg,
          I recognize that tiller shape from your last bow...I can see the narrow limb reduction past the bending portion...I think it is camera angle and string angle, you may be a little high on your string with your shooting hand which will cause that lower limb to come around more...The handle appearing to lean is in that position already in the unstrung profile which speaks for it's self...Looks like a fast shooter from here...Excellent work...
                                                                                              Don
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 09:32:41 pm by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Greg DeJanes

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 06:16:49 am »
Thanks Don

Greg

Offline Greg DeJanes

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 08:39:31 am »
  Upstate,
Here are some pics I took the day before I put the handle on the bow . They show the limbs reversed. Sending a different pic of the bow too. ( not very panoramic )

I use pics like this to do a lot of my tillering. I threw away my tillering stick and my pulley system after ruining too many bows. Think maybe I should go back using them lol.

Apreciate your input,
Greg

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 12:05:25 pm »
I like to heat in 4” reflex into my vinemaple s:) that’s if they aren’t already reflexed outta this world in the first place lol love how they dry.

Spirit based dyes and stains are the only way to go with VM 👍🏼
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Greg DeJanes

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 06:25:05 am »
Bryce,

Yea! I hear It can be crazy with natural reflex. This is my first try at vine maple. Think I'll take a break before the next lol.

Greg

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2018, 07:42:42 am »
Thanks for adding the extra pics Greg. I think Don is right on about the camera and string angles. You tillered around that undulation with a lot of patience and skill.  :BB

I'm working on an HHB stave that's quite similar. I hope I do as good a job as you did!

Awesome work.  (-S
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline helmet

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 08:53:24 pm »
That looks like a tough piece of wood, but you got a shooter! Good work