Author Topic: Hickory pyramid bow  (Read 8758 times)

Offline DC

Re: Hickory pyramid bow
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2019, 09:33:31 am »
Good job!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2019, 10:00:29 am »
Nice bow!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2019, 11:11:47 am »
Sweet :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2019, 11:45:24 am »
+1 and i like your walnut nock,too!
Cheers B2W

Offline Dante_F

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2019, 12:02:02 pm »
Looks good very elegant while keeping simplicity, a question am o the only one seeing some reflex here or is that just me? all in all, awesome

Offline ohma2

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2019, 12:05:45 pm »
Very nice like the tips to.no critique here

Offline Woodely

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2019, 12:17:49 pm »
Bow looks good.
 I can see what Woodely is saying about the tiller. Pyramid bows usually have a bit more bend near the fades than  bows with more parallel limbs because the widest part of the limbs is near the fades. Its more pronounced when a pyramid bow has really wide limbs over 2". Nevertheless your bow has little string follow, so I think you have still done well. It can be tricky to find the balance because the last place you want concentrated set in any bow design is near the fades.  How wide are your limbs?

Ya but ya dont want the mid limbs bending to malarkey either.  I would rather have a  little string follow than bending in wrong spots. But thats just me... (SH)
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2019, 02:23:40 pm »
I think saying the mid limbs bending to malarkey is a bit harsh. If that was the case it would have taken more than 1/2" of set. Did you see the other tiller pic I posted on page one? You can clearly see that it's bending coming out of the fades. Yeah it might not be absolutely perfect tiller but calling it malarkey, is malarkey

Offline kbear

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2019, 02:32:04 pm »
What a beautiful bow. Nice profile. Spot on tiller......... please post more of your work!

Offline Woodely

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2019, 02:33:45 pm »
I think saying the mid limbs bending to malarkey is a bit harsh. If that was the case it would have taken more than 1/2" of set. Did you see the other tiller pic I posted on page one? You can clearly see that it's bending coming out of the fades. Yeah it might not be absolutely perfect tiller but calling it malarkey, is malarkey

I did not say that your limbs were bending to malarkey (figure of speech),  just a statement I'm making about tillering is all,  not criticizing it just saying the way I would rather have a bow tillered is all.

"Did you see the other tiller pic I posted on page one? You can clearly see that it's bending coming out of the fades."   Quite honestly I do not see very much bending.  But then again  my eyes are not what they use to be.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 02:37:57 pm by Woodely »
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline straightarrow

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2019, 02:36:56 pm »
Gotcha, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Offline straightarrow

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2019, 02:40:35 pm »
Thank you, kbear. I just finished up a Osage shorty last night I'll probably post some pics this weekend

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2019, 10:16:07 am »
I think the tiller looks great. Very nice job on that bow. As far as perfect tiller, I've never been able to achieve it personally. I can always see where I might have fallen a little short so I don't even trip over it anymore. I used to have to try and be a perfectionitist on my bows and I came to the realization that with imperfect wood being worked by an imperfect guy I would have to be satsified with really good but not perfect. How it shoots and how it holds up over the long haul tells the whole story. Once again, good job.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2019, 12:38:26 pm »
Jon, another beauty. Just the way I likem Plain and Deadly , It will kill. Bob