Author Topic: String angles  (Read 1245 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
String angles
« on: April 11, 2019, 04:43:15 pm »
So right now I'm reading the TBB and I keep coming back to string angles.I was wondering do you want to have a small angle, big angle, or a right angle? thanks!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline jeffp51

Re: String angles
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 05:03:07 pm »
it is fairly easy to understand.  when your limb tip flexes, it moves in an arc as the arrow is pulled straight back in the center.  That means the tip will have a horizontal component and a vertical component, that will eventually send the arrow forward.  the farther back you pull the string, the greater percentage of the tip motion will be  vertical instead of horizontal, and the greater the angle of the string to the limb will become. If you could imagine what would happen if you pulled the string back completely, until it was perfectly doubled up (an impossibility, as the bow would also have to be folded in half) you would have a string angle to the limb of 180 degrees (a straight line), and you would not be able to draw farther, no matter how hard you pull.

In reality, the bow hits a limit much earlier:  as that angle passes 90 degrees, the vertical component starts to overpower the horizontal component and you get  'stack'.  The draw weight starts to climb quickly as more and more force goes to squeezing the bow in half instead of pulling the tips (and the arrow) back.  This is one reason to recurve the tips, as it delays the point where string angle with the tip exceeds 90 degrees and allows you to pull farther.  See for example the very short asian composite bows with extreme recurved tips

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 05:05:15 pm »
You can't go over 90 degrees or the bow stacks. hits a brick wall.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 05:10:25 pm »
The angle that exists between the string and the bow is the angle referenced.  A tighter angle gives you more leverage drawing the bow.  As the angle moves beyond 90 degrees you lose most leverage.  So a tighter angle is what you are after.   Keeping your limb tips in front of the grip will do that.  String follow will make it worse.  Flipping or recurving the tips narrows the string angle.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 07:08:18 pm »
Ohh I get it now. Thanks! that's been bugging me for a while
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 12:51:49 am »
What they all said but with a tiny caveat.
As the angle swings from say 85 to 95 degrees there is no "brick wall" as the geometry doesn't change much. The trigonometric functions don't change quickly either side of 90.
Same way as the seasons don't change much at mid summer or mid winter... the maximum shift really occurs at 45 degrees, or the equinoxes in my analogy.

Gotta remember that the geometry of a bow is actually so complicated that much of the mathematical analysis in the past has assumed two straight rigid limbs hinged at the centre with a spring between them!  :o ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 05:36:18 am »
  I agree Del, it is very complicated on a non straight limb every portion of the limb responds according to it's current angle in relation to the string.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 02:06:33 pm »
Very interesting. Learned something today.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise