Author Topic: Wolffish skin backing  (Read 1438 times)

Offline BowyerB

Wolffish skin backing
« on: June 04, 2019, 04:06:06 am »
Hey!

I just got hold of some great skins from a spotted wolffish that i would like to put on an osage bow.
However, i do not have any prior experience with fishskin backing, and was hoping maybe you guys could answer a few questions.

This fish had 1/4"-1/2" of fat tissue under its skin, which was extremely tough to remove, i spent 7 hours yesterday trimming it down,
soaking in soapy water, scraping and scrubbing, but still couldnt manage to reduce all of the white tissue to be "semi transparent" everywhere.
All the meat is obviously removed, and probably most of the fat. im just not really sure where the fatty tissue ends and where the skin starts.
Will it matter if there this job is not 100% perfect ? what are the drawbacks? will it still stick to hide glue ?

The bow im putting this on has two layers of sinew, and has been curing for two years(unintentional). I started tillering it again recently,
but inexperienced as I am, I managed to miss my intended poundage of 70# @ 32", and its now at arround 60-65#.
I am considering putting an extra layer of sinew on it before the fish skin, just to maybe get a couple of punds back.
Is this a good or bad idea ? will a new layer of sinew stick? will it take forever to cure if i put it on at the same time as the fish skin ?
should if first do the sinew, then wait X number of days and put the fish skin on? or just skip the sinew alltogether?
Attaching an image of the stapled up fish skin.

By the way, thank you all for all the awsome threads here! great stuff.

Offline Ryan Jacob

Re: Wolffish skin backing
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 04:57:16 am »
Any leftover fat is either going to mess with the glue, cause the skin to rot, or both. If you do plan to put another layer of sinew on, let it dry before you add the skins or it’ll take way  too long to dry. I’m also not sure how well fresh hide glue sticks to cured glue, might have to do something before gluing more on.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Wolffish skin backing
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 01:33:41 pm »
Any fat will not be good. 

Just wash the back of the bow with warm water and a bit of soap then rinse and you should be good to go.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com