Author Topic: Silk Fabric specs?  (Read 909 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Silk Fabric specs?
« on: May 20, 2019, 05:17:28 am »
Would like to try silk as bow backing. Purchased ydge is avail in myriad of thicknesses. When buying it, what specs should I be looking for?
Here is one resource's description that would seem to be appropriate for bow backing, but am not sure.
-Weight: Tissue/Extra Light
-Transparency: Sheer
-Stretch: No Stretch
-End Uses: Lined Dresses, Lined Blouses, Overlays, & more
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Silk Fabric specs?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 05:58:49 am »
Go to your local thrift store and but men's silk neck ties. They will cost about $2 and already have decoration for your bow. Silk blouses work also. This silk should be strong enough for bow backings.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 06:23:51 am »
My daughters would give me old silk dresses. For any seams, I covered with wrappings. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Sagebrush

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 08:06:58 am »
I am going to try some raw silk that I just purchased. It seems to be a whole lot tougher for not a lot of weight. I will let you know how it turns out.

Offline Woodely

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 08:19:11 am »
Have tried silk ties a few times and found that its on the weak side.   Having said that wont use it again, I would be more inclined to use Linen or other material.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 11:20:32 am by Woodely »
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."