Author Topic: Hickory short 'long' bow - back from the dead  (Read 1984 times)

Offline doggonemess

• That's My Web Guy
Hickory short 'long' bow - back from the dead
« on: June 07, 2012, 04:14:28 am »
I'm happy to report that the longbow I broke has found new life as a 'short' longbow - made the right height for my daughter. The funny thing is that it's too heavy, almost 30 lbs at 20", and she can't draw it yet. I just like it so much I don't want to lighten it anymore.  ;D

I'm working on a new bow for her now, but here are some finished pics of my fourth successful bow. Thanks for all the helpful advice!

Each tile is 1 foot square, the bow is slightly more than four feet, nock to nock. The tiller looks a little weird here, but I think it might be lens distortion or perspective. Cheap camera, so-so images.

The sanding isn't totally done, but I'm almost tempted to leave it the way it is. I kind of like the 'rough' and natural look of it. Maybe some BLO and leave it at that. I am considering a nice plain leather wrap with an arrow rest made of folded leather.

It's a rough shooter, though. Very snappy with lots of handshock. It also slapped my arm, causing a rash and a bruise - only the second time in my life I've gotten a bruise from a bowstring. Probably due to the size not being quite right for me. That's fine, in a few years, it will be perfect for the kids. Just need to get them trained up!
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." - Robert Wilensky

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Hickory short 'long' bow - back from the dead
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 02:07:24 pm »
Way to go.  I have also turned a screw up into a bow for my daughter.  Those kids bows are hard to tiller.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Bert

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 07:15:26 pm »
How long is the bow now ? (tip2tip)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 09:36:23 pm »
Hey buddy, scrape that left half 15-20 times. Its pretty stiff over there.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline doggonemess

• That's My Web Guy
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 11:32:42 am »
Tip to tip, I think it's about 55 inches, but that's a guess. I measured it but forgot. :)

Thanks for the suggestion about the tiller - it does seem a little off on one side. I'll do a little more finishing on it. You guys are right, the kids bows are tough to tiller. A little tiny change is a huge difference.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." - Robert Wilensky

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.