Author Topic: Hazel Nuts  (Read 1661 times)

Offline DC

Hazel Nuts
« on: August 22, 2019, 03:29:42 pm »
In the  last 4-5 years our Hazel Tree has started producing nuts. It seems that around half of them are hollow, the shell looks good but the nut just didn't develop. Is there a way to tell if there is a nut inside before I waste time roasting them?

Offline Ed Brooks

Re: Hazel Nuts
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 05:55:10 pm »
I have found, that if the nut will not let go of the husk, it’s a dud. That is when they’re ripe anyway.  Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline DLH

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 11:08:28 pm »
Might be worth adding some more hazelnut trees. The American hazelnuts here produce better with multiple trees in closer proximity. I would have to check but I think they are wind pollinated too so insects don’t transfer the pollen. Do you have the European varieties that were developed for blight resistance?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 08:08:55 am »
DC, check with your local Cooperative Extension Service or Ag Dept. It may be as simple as a nutritional deficiency. Anyway they could probably give you a solution.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 10:10:37 am »
Might be worth adding some more hazelnut trees. The American hazelnuts here produce better with multiple trees in closer proximity. I would have to check but I think they are wind pollinated too so insects don’t transfer the pollen. Do you have the European varieties that were developed for blight resistance?
It was planted by a Bluejay so there's no little tag to tell me what kind it is ;D ;D There's lots of them in the neighbourhood but there's nothing close. It's to late to plant another. I'll be gone before one could mature.
DC, check with your local Cooperative Extension Service or Ag Dept. It may be as simple as a nutritional deficiency. Anyway they could probably give you a solution.
I don't think we have such a thing here, Pat. At least I've never seen one. Not much agriculture here.