Author Topic: Honey or Black Locust?  (Read 1563 times)

Offline backtowood B2W

Honey or Black Locust?
« on: October 27, 2019, 04:35:25 am »
This are staves I picked from a big pile of fence postes. I splitted them sealed the end and tip, tied em together with spacers in between to prevent twisting.
I only worked once with BL, not sure if this is as well. There is no more bark on it just a bit of the inner.
Before I go deeper into this pile I gonna ask first as honey locust isn't such a good bow wood, right?!?

Offline backtowood B2W

Re: Honey or Black Locust?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 04:36:54 am »
the staves 58 - 62 inches long
thanks for your help!
B2W

Offline M2A

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 08:12:04 am »
I don't see much honey locust that said what you got sure looks like bl to me. Bl has a thick corky bark while hl's bark is much thinner and dense. Your third pic and that knot in the end grain, looks like the bark is 25% of that limbs size. The hl I have seen is always more yellow or golden also. Never tried hl so cant comment there, but you got bl which is a good wood :)

Looks like they have been cut long enough ago that they would not "move" much on you but better safe than sorry. However, I would try and remove the sapwood and seal the backs to prevent further checking or possible insect damage down the road. No hurry but that would be on my list of things to do. Looks like you found a good source for some good wood, congrats.
Mike   

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 08:51:32 am »
Definitely black locust. Honey locust wouldn't be used for fence post and would have deteriorated had it been unprotected like these staves were. Black locust is used for fencing in areas where it is common.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 01:47:41 pm »
Thank you pat and mike!
Im very happy, going through the pile again, maybe I missed a piece ;D.
One pole costs 3,50 €. 8)
B2W