Author Topic: Bows and Arrows of the Shawnee  (Read 1668 times)

Offline blindarcher

Bows and Arrows of the Shawnee
« on: October 27, 2019, 07:30:18 pm »
I would  like to create replicas of a bow, arrows and quiver typical of  that used by the Shawnee.  Can anyone provide me guidance as to the style of bow and arrows they used, including material and dimensions, backings, etc.?

Thanks!

Offline Parnell

Re: Bows and Arrows of the Shawnee
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 11:00:54 am »
I haven't seen too much presented on specifically Shawnee.  I do recall there was reference in the Encyclopedia of Bows, Arrows, and Quivers volume 1.  You can pick that up pretty cheap online.

You are still talking about an Eastern Woodland white-wood bend through the handle bow, I'd figure.
1’—>1’

Offline blindarcher

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 05:39:03 pm »
Parnell,

Thanks for your reply.  I am thinking along the same  lines as you about the white wood Eastern Woodlands bow.  I am considering a "Sudbury like" bow.  This would be a self-bow.  I am afraid that if I would add a rawhide backing, I might be violating the authenticity of an Eastern Woodlands bow,  but I am  not entirely sure that  is the case.

Best Regards!

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 06:32:05 pm »
There's three of them in the Encyclopedia.   One a bit longer and more elaborate in shape and decoration and the others the most basic of simple D bows.

While many of the bows from that area are basically identical making a Sudbury type bow with rawhide backing is not going to be very representative of a Shawnee bow.