Author Topic: String Loop Q  (Read 1083 times)

Offline simk

String Loop Q
« on: February 05, 2020, 02:09:13 am »
Hi All

I was just wondering, if biiig string loops improve stability of a highly reflexed/recurved bow ? - weather they are better than tiny loops?

I have the feeling that they do and also have seen biiig loops on some asiatic hornbows...

What do you think?

Thank you for your thoughts!

Cheers
--- the queen rules ----

Offline PatM

Re: String Loop Q
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 06:25:52 am »
The loop size on hornbows is because  of the sityah shape.   So any stability would be due to that rather than just the fact that the loops are large. The loop has to straddle the wedge shape or teardrop profile.

Offline simk

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 11:08:30 am »
Thank you very much PatM for your contribution!

The huge string loops I saw on these hornbows were much larger than actually needed to pass the levers...

I then today also put this same question to my personal consultant which clearly confirmed my assumption. I unfortunately didn't ask for the reason, but couldn't it be that the larger loop somehow creates a virtually lower point of attack?

(-P 
--- the queen rules ----

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 12:34:06 pm »
Do you have a picture?

Offline simk

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 01:24:43 pm »
The Pic I had in my mind was unstrung...just saw the biiig loops. Now found this pic on atarn with a stringed bow (by Dennis Wong Chee De‎ATARN Traditional Asian Archery). Its all clear now. Good Trick! very intersting! Thanx
Edit: how (different) would a normal recurve bow behave with loops that big?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 02:27:27 pm by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 02:28:15 pm »
Yes, ideally the string loop  comes together right between  that section between the bridge and the apex of the  siyah  belly.

A lot of modern Asiatic style bows don't have enough of a wedge to the siyah belly side and the string loops are a bit short.  The string rides against a square edge.