Author Topic: My first real good shooter... Finally  (Read 1884 times)

bownarra

Re: My first real good shooter... Finally
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2020, 12:00:42 pm »
It's all part of the learning curve!
Pearl is dead right.
Never, ever sand a chrysaled area as it WILL get worse. Again as Pearl said it chrysaled because it was bending too much and or had a stiff section just tipward. The extra bit of a ring just next to your chrysal is a sign of this.
Your thicker limb was likely deflexed somewhere along its length, thus making it look weak and you leaving it thick to make things even.
When you have a stave where the tips don't line up it is a very good idea to rough out the bow then use either dry heat or steam to make corrections and even out the limbs prior to starting tillering.
Hickory must be dry to avoid a lot of set and it also likes a good heat treating of the belly.

Offline Fox

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2020, 12:11:25 pm »
Yes indeee bownarra... i did match up the tips and make both limbs even when ruffed out both limbs reterned to there original state though after bending them for a while..
 I heat treated the belly several times..
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Fox

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2020, 12:16:20 pm »
Alright well thanks for all of your good advice. Im going to call it done and tryan make another one with all the new knowledge!  :BB

-Fox
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline HH~

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2020, 05:06:29 pm »
Some set aint the end of the world. Makes for a smooth shooter. Just as long as it does not continue to loose weight. Haev a HHB I made with wood that was not fully seasoned. Yes, it took some permanent set and they stayed 44lbs at 28". Lost early string tension but it is the smoothest killing hunk of wood I own. Think I even shot it for half of one IBO championship final round one year. It held its own very well.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW