Author Topic: Just trolled myself  (Read 1629 times)

Offline Corvus

Just trolled myself
« on: April 29, 2020, 09:31:14 pm »
Was all like yay I can make some strings b55 and serving came. Wax has not though lmao, got myself hyped, all about to make the jig. Then ".... Oh shiii, forgot no wax yet"

Guess I will process more sinew as long as the old lady let's me before she gets mad at my banging lol
Don't worry, we got yew!
-PNW

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Just trolled myself
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 11:17:20 pm »
Maybe find a beeswax candle at your local a ce(no space)hardware, they seem to have a bunch of stuff!  Soaking the sinew should save a lot of banging and pounding, and is easier on the sinew!  It helps to have the string jig finished, too (lol)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Corvus

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 12:01:51 am »
Maybe find a beeswax candle at your local a ce(no space)hardware, they seem to have a bunch of stuff!  Soaking the sinew should save a lot of banging and pounding, and is easier on the sinew!  It helps to have the string jig finished, too (lol)
Hawkdancer

No ace on my little island lol. Doubt our hardware store would have it, the apothecary might if they are still operating.  I have always done the pounding without a soak just because I learned it that way. Makes sense it would be gentler on the sinew as being hydrated it has more give without possible fraying and such. Sure does take a lot of effort without soaking, only made it through half a tendon(big hard elk ones x.x) definitely going to set them to soak overnight. Don't know why had not ever crossed my mind. As for the jig I kinda just got upset and didn't make it because I realllly wanted to make a string tonight. Takes a whopping 5min to throw one together anyways though, will just do it tomorrow and look for some beeswax.
Don't worry, we got yew!
-PNW

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 12:43:44 am »
Are toilet bowl wax seals still made from beeswax? 
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Corvus

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 01:19:04 am »
Are toilet bowl wax seals still made from beeswax?
Any that I have installed in the past 6-7years of contracting were definitely not beeswax. Possibly some mixed in maybe? But think they have been petroleum based for a while
Don't worry, we got yew!
-PNW

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 05:47:32 am »
B-55 has wax on it. Make your string and wax it later after you get it. You can take a small piece of leather and work up and down the string on a braced bow. This will melt the wax on the string to get through the string and help pre-stretch the string.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 07:22:38 am »
Would chapstick work as string wax in a pinch?  Toilet seal wax rings are very soft and tacky.  If you found some plain paraffin wax you could try mixing the two.  I made a bunch of string wax from toilet rings and beeswax.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 09:16:28 am »
I made my string wax from beeswax,  a little bit of tree resin (collophonium) (may be 5 percent) and drop of sunflower oil.
You can use parrafin based wax (normal candles) instead of beeswax.

Melting the wax with the powdered resin, put in a drop (or two) oil, mix. After cooling down itis ready to use.

In an urgent case you can also take a piece of candle and rub it into the string threads.....

Offline Corvus

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 09:44:25 am »
Not in a rush, will wait for my beeswax. Yeah the b55 is wasee, but I just like waxing it up when I do the loops otherwise I would just twist up some strings and wax later.
Don't worry, we got yew!
-PNW

Offline Corvus

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2020, 11:30:17 pm »
Hawkdancer

Just thank you so much for mentioning soaking. Made it zero pounding and banging and it comes out way cleaner with practically zero wasted. Way less work and you get more sinew out of the tendon  ;D
Don't worry, we got yew!
-PNW

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2020, 12:16:11 am »
Actually, someone else mentioned that in an earlier thread, and I thought it was a good idea worth passing on!  I will using it when I do my extra long elk sinew. Ot any of the rest,  for that matter.  Glad it worked for you!  There were a number of folks on that thread, so I will not try to name them all.  They know who they are!  Which means I am too lazy to retrieve that thread!  But Thanks to all who presented an opinion!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Corvus

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2020, 10:48:48 am »
Think I saw the thread when I searched after your suggestion which is why I decided to try it and it was totally worth it! Especially since these are long elk tendons haha
Don't worry, we got yew!
-PNW