Author Topic: This seems odd to me  (Read 808 times)

Offline DC

This seems odd to me
« on: June 11, 2020, 11:39:41 am »
I'm tillering a bow. I have it at brace height. I traced the full length outline of the back on some paper. I put it on the tree and noticed that the lower limb was a bit stiff. I gave the lower a few scrapes and a few pulls and went back to the tracing fully expecting to see the lower limb bending more. It was exactly like it was before but the upper limb had straightened out about 1/8" mid limb. The lower limb was still stiff so I repeated everything. The lower limb was still exactly following the tracing but the upper limb had straightened another 1/8". Does this seem odd to anyone else? It's probably not important but curious :D

bownarra

Re: This seems odd to me
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 12:09:45 pm »
The stiff limb won't take set, whilst the other takes double load so to speak. If I read you correctly!

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 12:37:14 pm »
When I got closer to "balanced" the stiff limb(bottom) started to bend. I wish I'd written down the brace height to see if it had changed. That may have helped me wrap my head around this. Something to look for next time. Weird things happen when the tips are tied together.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 01:18:15 pm »
I got thinking more about the tips being tied together. With that being so one limb can't bend without the other straightening. If you grab a braced bow in the vice and bend one limb the other straightens out. I must have measured wrong.

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 01:56:32 pm »
I got thinking more about the tips being tied together. With that being so one limb can't bend without the other straightening. If you grab a braced bow in the vice and bend one limb the other straightens out. I must have measured wrong.

This is how I managed to get my head around limb twist - was basically to imagine what you are doing but across the belly!