Author Topic: First Selfbow???  (Read 3776 times)

Dalebow

First Selfbow???
« on: May 05, 2008, 01:01:50 pm »
Ive been shooting lonbows and Recurves for a bit and want to try a selfbow after just getting back from the TN classic and shooting a couple and having a blast.  I am not ready to try and make one yet, but would like to buy one already made to see if I will like it.  I was wondering if anyone knows of selfbow bowyers that sell self bows.  I may love it and buy something like a pine hollow or actually make one but I cant justify several hundreds of dollars for my first one.  I am able to find lots of bowyers and venders for modern bows but not so much the primitive ones.
So suggestions on where I might find a good starter selfbow, Iam thiking between 47-50# and mabye Osage, yew, ??? Something that will let me get into this next step and get addicted.  If it isnt ok to ask about bowyers or vendors maybe pm me with thier information or website.
thanks Pappy for planting the seed ;D

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
Re: First Selfbow???
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 04:24:26 pm »
 Check out the P.A. classifieds,there are guys selling in there. Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 06:21:21 pm »
You can make a really simple (but in now way inferior) red oak longbow from a 1x2 from Home Depot or Lowes. Jawge has excellent instructions on his website on how to make it.

Can't find it though ???. Can anyone help me out?

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 06:43:15 pm »
Dalebow:
You most likely already have most everthing you would need to build a selfbow. So why not try?  It is only a piece of wood.
Tools: Shop vise.  (Makes life so much better when building a bow)
         drawknife and a large rasp ($20.00 each at yardsales, antique stores and pawn shops)
         Scraper     (just a piece of thin steel)

You would also need some wood.  That is it.
You can do this.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

CutNShoot

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 06:45:50 pm »
this aint Jawges site but a good one also.    http://www.geocities.com/salampsio/oak10.htm
I'll find george too just a minute. I have it somewhere.

CutNShoot

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 06:49:55 pm »

Dalebow

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 12:44:26 am »
Thanks so much, I got tons of pm's and you guys replied here, this is what it is all about, Ok Iam going to Home Depot and finding me and oak board!!

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 12:54:52 am »
lol, you can't post here saying that you want to buy a bow without being told to 'make your own', that's what this place is for.
    Sean :)
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 01:19:29 am »
yup and you more than likely,what am i saying, you WILL make more than one.
after you finish one,youll say to yourself,"you know who would like one of these",and then your hooked.

so welcome to the addiction,eventually you wil need to go over to the bowaholics thread.lol

you will love this hobby/addiction.

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 02:21:00 am »
If you want to drive to my house, I'll help you make one.  Saw Filer
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline shamus

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 12:11:25 pm »
Get your hands on a nice , clean, straight piece of hickory or white oak. Those are good woods.

Before getting started, I'd advise doing some reading first. There's a lot of ways to go about it. You have to find what works best for you. 

A lot of people suggest red oak boards, but if you lack the experience, you'll just break a lot of boards.

It might cost a little more, but a hickory stave or bow blank would increase your chances of success over a board. If you have trees in your local area, or know a tree trimmer, you could try to get your own that way. Hickory, maple and white oak are good woods.

Dalebow

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 08:50:55 pm »
Thanks everyone, I will see what I can do  ;D

Dalebow

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 12:46:40 am »
ok Iam either going to get a pre glued blank that is shaped and only needs tillering and shaping of the sight window and grip or go whole hog and buy a tempered piece of bamboo backing, hickory board, and a piece of osage to glue up and start cutting.... Does this sound like something I can do???

Offline sailordad

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 01:49:59 am »
absolutely, you can do it.
ifn i can anyone can,and its looks and sounds harder than it really is,only cause its your first. i'm quit new to this too,and have found things to be easier than they first seemed, i get somewhat intimidated by woodworking,the more i play "armature bowyer" the easier it seems to get.

good luck,we all know you can do it. 8)

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd