Author Topic: Does anyone know what is Rey flecking in wood ?  (Read 1425 times)

Offline Nasr

Does anyone know what is Rey flecking in wood ?
« on: December 15, 2020, 08:46:14 pm »
Can someone explain it to me. All I know is it’s freaking pretty in white oak and love it in furniture but is it severed grain? I was reading about how it is cells that are lined up and go from center to bark. I always thought it was severed grain. If that is true then it would be there regardless of how you cut the wood but it is visible in quarter sawn wood. If this is true I have passed on some seriously good straight grain wood on a false understanding that it flawed.

Offline Nasr

Re: Does anyone know what is Rey flecking in wood ?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 08:49:04 pm »
This is what I am talking about. See how it is going perpendicular to the grain.

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 09:15:52 pm »
It's for transport  across the width of the tree rather than vertically.

Offline Nasr

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 09:17:11 pm »
So it’s not end grain and would be fine for a backing?

Offline RyanY

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 09:19:10 pm »
It does not represent grain violations and is not end grain. It is also not the same as figure seen more commonly in other woods such as maple which IS undulating grain.

Offline Nasr

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 09:23:01 pm »
I am an idiot all that time wasted all that lumber rejected.   :'(

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2020, 10:55:24 pm »
I learned something today. I have those same markings on red oak pieces I am using on my next bow. It wasn't there on the outside of the board and then showed up after I cut the pieces. It would look fantastic on the backing strip of a lam bow with a clear finish giving it depth.

Mark

bownarra

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2020, 11:41:26 pm »
Stay away from medullary rays on backing strips :) They can peel off and are almost 'detached' from the wood itself. Definately NOT what you want on a backing strip. I would much prefer a backing strip cut on the bias or flat than one that had medullary rays in it....

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2020, 09:11:37 am »
Stay away from medullary rays on backing strips :) They can peel off and are almost 'detached' from the wood itself. Definately NOT what you want on a backing strip. I would much prefer a backing strip cut on the bias or flat than one that had medullary rays in it....

See there, learned some more. Mine are in the core on this lam bow so that won't be a problem this time around. It's too bad they aren't suitable for a backing, they look great.

Mark

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2020, 10:06:28 am »
Every species has them, not always as dramatic as oak. How visible they are depends on the angle of the surface of the wood relative to the pith of the tree. Here’s an example from a hickory split stave

Offline Morgan

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2020, 11:12:05 am »
When sawing timber for lumber, you see that a lot in quarter sawn red and white oak. I have seen it mildly in hackberry grip sections , and in the side of limbs and grip sections on American elm when making bows.

Offline Nasr

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2020, 11:12:49 am »

Ok so I should stay away from it. But I have another question if all trees have it when quarter sawn does that mean I should stay away from all quarter sawn wood or only in species and pieces where it is visible.

Offline Nasr

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2020, 11:16:35 am »
I get that all wood has them but does it mean they shouldn’t be used in backing bows or the backs on self bows. I always stayed away from them because i thought if they were severed grain. So when I found out it’s not I am now trying to figure out if it still not useful in bow making and it seems it is still a good idea to stay away from them.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2020, 01:12:48 pm »
Good question. A heaping ton of bows been made with quartersawn lumber both backed and board stave. If flecking is present if not visible on all quarter sawn lumber, then I’d say it’s useable for sure. I’d probably not use one as prominent as the one you pictured, just in case.