Author Topic: Well, this is a bummer.  (Read 2106 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Re: Well, this is a bummer.
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2021, 11:24:39 am »
if the bow did not blow up,, it will probably fix,, the bowyer should do that for you,,
I think its worth a try,, if you not up for it,, you can send it to me, I will put a sinew wrap on it and test it out,, if I think it needs to be rawhide backed we can talk about that,,when I see it,,

That's really, really kind of you, Brad, and I might take you up on that.   Maybe find some rawhide and do it myself.  I am currently trying to decide whether to try to save the bow, or whether to retire it and put my time and energy into making one that I will like even better.  This particular bowyer is a really nice guy and makes pretty good stuff, but I'm not extremely impressed with his service.  He has not offered to fix the bow for me, but did offer to send me some wood, so maybe we'll call that good.  :)

This bow has never been exposed to anything other than normal outdoor heat as far as I know, but I did put a few scratches and dings in the back, which I covered with superglue, at the advice of the bowyer.  It's possible the splinter started from one of those, but I don't think so.

Hawk, the splinter is about 3" long and around 1/2" wide.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

gutpile

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2021, 01:58:43 pm »
you can run a cotton ball down limbs to identify where splinter might be if not visible.. when found super glue it down.. a good rawhide backing is what I would consider not seeing the actual problem.. sounds like sound advise and a simple procedure you could do yourself.. JMO.. good luck.. gut

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2021, 04:04:50 pm »
well fix that one for back up,, and make one too,, :)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2021, 06:21:36 pm »
well fix that one for back up,, and make one too,, :)

Or maybe make several!  ha ha  My daughter already makes fun of me for owning so many bows.  Compared to some of you guys, I'm a pauper!

So, where does one get a good strip of thin rawhide?  I didn't get to hunt this year so nothing awaiting me in the freezer.

Sinew:  Same question, same reason.  I've been really wanting to learn sinew, since my ultimate bow-making goal is a sinew-backed flatbow of juniper wood.  So, maybe doing a bit of sinew repair work would be a good way to start getting familiar with the material.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2021, 06:41:13 pm »
i get my sinew at Moscow hide and fur, they might have rawhide I have not checked,,

Offline Tradslinger

• Trad hunt, fish, metal detect, reload, garden, Vet
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2021, 08:18:45 pm »
where I live, picking up roadkill is pretty easy to do. I have skinned out a few for their hides. once you stretch it and dry it etc, you can make rawhide from there.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2021, 09:31:54 pm »
Hide and fur has whole goat hides for about $70.  Pine hollow Longbows has whole hides for around $90.  I have a few older strips of fur on deer hide I have been saving. Make me an offer if your interested :)

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2021, 11:43:26 pm »
shorty palmer has hair off goat for about 40 for whole hide,,I think,,djembe drums and skins,,

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2021, 01:09:35 am »
Sweet talk the county road crews and/or the Game warden(?)for a chance to skin out road kill.  Likely be a year round supply!  Might be a local game processor as well.  Rawhide is easy - get the hair off and stretch on a frame, and let it cure, then cut to suit your needs.  It helps to keep the dogs and mice away, though (lol)!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry