Author Topic: Cold and humidity  (Read 1686 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Cold and humidity
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2021, 11:07:21 pm »
and spring and fall bow too,, (-S

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2021, 10:06:24 am »
Lol I better ramp up my efforts then. It's the tillering that is slowing me down : )
In the woods I find my peace

Offline darinputman

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2021, 10:29:49 am »
While storing bows in my shop the humidity was up to 70-80% if I remember right, during this time. It was a couple months and I wanted to see if the heat treating method would prevent hickory from taking on moisture. They got back up to 6-8% moisture content and cast took a hit. But after being in heat box a while, it returned.
   I don't have exact numbers on humidity, temperature and moisture content with me but do believe I got it in my logbook at home.
   I've read somewhere you should store @50% humidity but have never tried it longterm as I just revert back to osage since it doesn't seem to matter with it.

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2021, 12:54:28 pm »
Yeah it gets really humid here in the summer. I'll have to see what my basement is like during that time. Maybe I can try an epoxy sealer too
In the woods I find my peace

Offline darinputman

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2021, 01:05:12 pm »
I put whats referred to as Massey finish on mine, using denatured alcohol instead of acetone as I really was hoping  that my hickory bows could resist the urge to take on moisture.