Author Topic: Osage Recurve  (Read 1661 times)

Offline redhillwoods

Osage Recurve
« on: February 27, 2021, 02:35:25 pm »
Hi everyone. Here's an Osage recurve I've just finished. #44@28", 63"ntn. The top limb has a small cruck about an inch out of the fade (hard to see in the unstrung pic) that puts the limb into mild reflex. Rather than straightening it l just tillered it accordingly so it looks a little stiffer than the bottom. Maybe l made it too stiff? Two knots in the bottom limb and one in the top. It holds over 2" of reflex after being shot and unstrung. Bison leather grip. Finished with 5 coats of tung oil, the first two mixed with turpentine. Horn nocks. I'm always learning so please everyone give me honest opinion and critique.
Dave

Offline RyanY

Re: Osage Recurve
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 02:59:13 pm »
Overall the bow looks very nice. The fact that it took so little set is a great sign that it was designed well and not overstressed even with those good size recurves. To me it looks like the bottom limb is stiff out of the fades and mostly bending in the mid limb but it could be the angle of the photo. Bottom limb looks a bit weaker as well. Is the tiller negative at brace? Otherwise the finish is very nice. No doubt even if it isn’t perfect it is likely a very good shooter. Well done!

Offline redhillwoods

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 03:19:38 pm »
Thanks for the input Ryan. What does negative at brace mean?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 03:36:48 pm »
if the arrow flies well,, its perfect,, the way a bow looks is secondary,,

Offline scp

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 03:46:56 pm »
if the arrow flies well,, its perfect,, the way a bow looks is secondary,,
Yes, speed also matters a lot. Good self-bows are expected to shoot 175 FPS. But I'm still struggling to achieve 170 FPS. Working on bamboo backed bows for now. Nice looking bow.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 04:01:04 pm »
Thanks for the input Ryan. What does negative at brace mean?

Means that the string is further from the lower limb than the upper limb at brace.

Offline Will B

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 06:51:27 pm »
Nice looking bow!  Love the back on that bow!

Offline redhillwoods

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 07:15:15 pm »
Yes the tiller is negative at brace. What are the implications of this? Again, the top limb has more natural reflex than the bottom.

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 07:32:29 pm »
Nice profile on that bow. I like the character of the top limb. Bottom limb may be slightly flat out of fade but it's minor. Like Brad mentioned,  if the arrows fly well it's perfect. Good job.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 08:42:56 pm »
There are no negative implications due to negative tiller when its warranted. In fact, if it's warranted and you tillered it positive, 'just because' like so many do, it would be unbalanced, have more hand shock that it should, treat the arrow badly, etc. Many of my bows show a negative tiller after I balance them.... even those with both limbs showing the same profile unbraced. Balance the strength of the limbs relative to your holds and there will never be a question like , 'maybe too stiff?' Cuz balanced is as balanced does. Right is right.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline simk

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2021, 01:05:04 pm »
Good work on that one  (-S When I first examined the pics I also saw that negative tiller and tought lower limb was too weak. Then I saw you shooting 3under...so this tiller could be very fine  (-S
--- the queen rules ----

bownarra

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2021, 03:25:49 pm »
3 under tiller should have a slightly stiffer  lower limb all other things equal.
I think the lower limb is working a bit hard overall. Even with the bit of reflex in the upper. It's a wee bit stiff out of the fade and perhaps a smidge stiff past mid limb (that's making the middle work a bit hard).

Offline BoltBows

• Bolt Bows
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2021, 04:47:32 pm »
Overall nice work Dave. I would also give that upper limb a few scrapes, but maybe I'm wrong. Also it's difficult to see the front profile, but the outer third, just before the recurve on the lower limb, looks a bit stiff. On the upper limb that spot looks perfect because there's a reflex in it.
Hit me up & see more:
Facebook.com/boltbows
Insta: @BoltBows

Offline redhillwoods

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2021, 05:17:07 pm »
Yes, it seems the lower limb is working a bit hard particularly in the middle. Thanks so much for the info everyone. This forum is so a valuable as a learning tool.
Dave