Author Topic: Character Osage Selfbow - 64# at 28"  (Read 3286 times)

Offline organic_archer

Re: Character Osage Selfbow - 64# at 28"
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2021, 10:49:18 am »
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the kind words.  ;D
Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows

Offline simk

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2021, 06:33:38 am »
Great work overall, superbe tiller  (-S How do you make that grain pop out so clear on that osage? heat gun?
cheers
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2021, 08:27:29 am »
Got to love that, beautiful work. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline RyanY

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2021, 09:48:08 am »
Beautiful work as always! I’m wondering if you can tell us more about your design process. It’s clear that you’ve nailed down a beautiful and effective design that you can produce successfully across multiple wood species. I’m curious how you treat each wood/bow differently to get low set and good draw weights. The bows look pretty consistent dimensionally. I think you’re doing something very right!

Offline organic_archer

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2021, 12:10:18 pm »
Great work overall, superbe tiller  (-S How do you make that grain pop out so clear on that osage? heat gun?
cheers

This one has a mild heat treatment that made it pop a little more than usual. It really depends on the tree too. Some have really cool looking ring separation, and some are a little harder to see.

Beautiful work as always! I’m wondering if you can tell us more about your design process. It’s clear that you’ve nailed down a beautiful and effective design that you can produce successfully across multiple wood species. I’m curious how you treat each wood/bow differently to get low set and good draw weights. The bows look pretty consistent dimensionally. I think you’re doing something very right!

I spent about 6-7 years fine-tuning something that had my own style and would work well with many wood species. Once I got it dialed in, I've rarely strayed from it over the last 2-3 years or so and it's never let me down!

I use the same design for almost every bow, unless there's some character that changes things. The only thing I really adjust for each species is the length, and slight adjustments in width. The modified pyramid taper of the limbs remains the same but the ratios can vary like 1/8" in both width and thickness tapers between different species.

26" Draw : Whitewood 64-66" - Osage 62-64"
27-28" Draw : Whitewood 66" - Osage 64-66"
29" Draw : Whitewood 68" - Osage 66-68"
30" Draw : Whitewood 70" - Osage 68"

Whitewoods : 2" wide at fades, no matter the species - 1.5" mid limb - 1/2" nocks
Osage : 1.5" wide at fades - 1.25" mid limb - 3/8" to 1/2" nocks

Always stiff-handled with a 4" handle section and 2" fade-outs for customer work and for my main hunting bows.

These are pretty close approximates but I do a lot of eyeballing after a blank is roughed out and during tillering to make sure everything has clean, fluid lines. I especially like long flowing lines in the handles and fades. No sharp angles. Lots of time spent holding it up into the light and running my fingers over it like a micrometer.

I try to make the outer 1/3's as light as I can go for a selfbow with double-cut nocks. They usually finish pretty narrow, and pretty thin. I just make sure I don't remove so much from the outers that they bend. I prefer the outer 1/3 to be remain somewhat stiff so they don't get whip-like. I'm always surprised how thin I can make them and still not get any bend, and that's really what brings the performance up in my opinion!

Anyway, I feel like it's a pretty basic design that meshes together many of the favorable characteristics I've read in the bow building books. I just put my own personal style on designs that have been tried-and-true for a long time! Hope this helps!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 12:19:50 pm by organic_archer »
Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows

Offline Will B

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2021, 12:36:43 pm »
Great information thanks for taking time to post this

Offline RyanY

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2021, 12:47:50 pm »
I spent about 6-7 years fine-tuning something that had my own style and would work well with many wood species. Once I got it dialed in, I've rarely strayed from it over the last 2-3 years or so and it's never let me down!

I use the same design for almost every bow, unless there's some character that changes things. The only thing I really adjust for each species is the length, and slight adjustments in width. The modified pyramid taper of the limbs remains the same but the ratios can vary like 1/8" in both width and thickness tapers between different species.

26" Draw : Whitewood 64-66" - Osage 62-64"
27-28" Draw : Whitewood 66" - Osage 64-66"
29" Draw : Whitewood 68" - Osage 66-68"
30" Draw : Whitewood 70" - Osage 68"

Whitewoods : 2" wide at fades, no matter the species - 1.5" mid limb - 1/2" nocks
Osage : 1.5" wide at fades - 1.25" mid limb - 3/8" to 1/2" nocks

Always stiff-handled with a 4" handle section and 2" fade-outs for customer work and for my main hunting bows.

These are pretty close approximates but I do a lot of eyeballing after a blank is roughed out and during tillering to make sure everything has clean, fluid lines. I especially like long flowing lines in the handles and fades. No sharp angles. Lots of time spent holding it up into the light and running my fingers over it like a micrometer.

I try to make the outer 1/3's as light as I can go for a selfbow with double-cut nocks. They usually finish pretty narrow, and pretty thin. I just make sure I don't remove so much from the outers that they bend. I prefer the outer 1/3 to be remain somewhat stiff so they don't get whip-like. I'm always surprised how thin I can make them and still not get any bend, and that's really what brings the performance up in my opinion!

Anyway, I feel like it's a pretty basic design that meshes together many of the favorable characteristics I've read in the bow building books. I just put my own personal style on designs that have been tried-and-true for a long time! Hope this helps!  ;D

I really appreciate the thorough response. That makes a lot of sense. I guess it depends on how you take your orders but it seems like those design parameters would easily accommodate a wide range of draw weights for your market and make it easily repeatable. Basic is one way to put it. Meticulous seems a better fit.  ;D

Offline BoltBows

• Bolt Bows
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2021, 02:44:55 pm »
Keep 'em coming Correy! Beautiful work again.

Jaap
Hit me up & see more:
Facebook.com/boltbows
Insta: @BoltBows