Author Topic: Too Light again!  (Read 2727 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Too Light again!
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2021, 10:36:45 am »
HH made a point that I think I agree with, being that his posts are quite interesting but lyrical.  I dont believe the key to hitting weight is getting to full draw early.  That is a recipe for for problems.  I believe the answer is getting to full draw weight early, with good tiller.  If you hit 45# at 10 inches, with a 6 inch brace height, it is easy to extrapolate when you would hit 55#.  If the tiller is good, you need only keep it good as you reduce, the thickness and increase the draw length.  Tillering issues can always throw you a curve late in the game, but generally, if you are at 55# at 26 inches, shooting for 28 inches, your golden.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2021, 12:58:45 am »
ok so you hit the perfect weight at 28 inches,, 50#
so then when your in the field and draw it to 26,, and kill the elk at 45#,, then what,, ;D
I do agee with HH, draw it to 29 and call it good,, of coures keep making bows,, and get better at hitting the weight,, what ever works for you, thats the joy of making your own bows, make it like you want,,

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2021, 03:06:02 pm »
Well, I finished tweaking the tiller and put a few dozen arrows through it.  I love the way this thing shoots--no hand shock at all, and really moves the arrows with some authority.  At 10 yards, it's putting a 600 grain arrow about 8" into my block target and knocking it off the table!    I really like the way it looks too.  I'll have a few questions about my next design, as this one has lost almost all its reflex, which means the limbs are overstrained.  Not sure what I did wrong there.

Final tiller was 43# @ 27".  So, I'm disappointed that I missed weight, but really happy otherwise.

so then when your in the field and draw it to 26,, and kill the elk at 45#,, then what,, ;D
...draw it to 29 and call it good,,

Then I must turn myself in to Game and Fish and throw myself on the mercy of the friendly local warden.   ;)  But yeah, that's why it's kind of a dumb rule.  I think it's just an easy way to keep morons from hunting elk with kiddie bows.  I've never had a game warden stop and check my bow weight. 

This one shoots like an elk bow, and with the kind of penetration it's giving me on the target, it would definitely do the job.  I'm going to try to get another one done before summer's out, just because I really want one to come in at the weight I want.  But this one looks great, shoots great, and taught me a lot...so I'll call it a success! Thanks for all the help.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2021, 09:05:42 pm »
I think with practice you'll be able to make weight.
Give my site a check.
http://traditionalarchery101.com
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2021, 01:20:11 am »
Hey Whistling...didn't we talk about me getting you an osage stave last year? Its been a crazy year or so, and I forgot about having that convo with you...or someone that lives in the WRC.  Man, if I'm remembering correctly and you live in the WRC, Im right down the road from you (relatively speaking).  Where did you draw your elk tag?  I drew the zone 7 type 1...what a way to solo intro into elk hunting, huh?!   I will have two weeks off starting next Sunday at midnight, and I am planning on hitting the mountains to scout/train with my pack and some sandbags.  Any mountain will do for the training part of it, so if you can meet me half way betwixt here and there, I can pick out the best stave I have as far as trying to get you one that will minimize fuss and get it to you.  If you need it before then and can drive down for the day, come pick one out.  I'm working my tail off to get one finished up too, so I feel your pain.  Lemme know if that would help you out at all.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2021, 02:28:58 am »
Y'all speaking some strange language! (lol).  You and WB are not too far out of the area for a get togetherness!  Being older and wiser, I let the young guy do the driving game and packing out!

DHawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2021, 01:18:06 pm »
Jawge--I think so, too.  Thanks for the encouraging words.

SS--I didn't draw diddly squat this year!  Didn't even draw a speed goat.  So I'll be hunting the general areas.  Area 7 should be pretty good--congrats on your draw.  I hope we can hook up and drown a few flies.  We could probably get your kids onto a brookie or two, if we're lucky.

Jerry, we do need to get together sometime.

Back to the bow--shot around 50-100 arrows (I lost track) and tiller still looks good.  Inlayed an antler arrow pass that looks kind of cool.  Removed all the tool marks and sanded 'er smooth.  Going to try to get it stained and put a handle wrap on it today...then on to the next attempted 60 pounder.  ha ha
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 01:21:08 pm by WhistlingBadger »
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2021, 02:53:06 pm »
When do you start hunting Wonderful Wyoming?  Archery Deer opens 1 Sept here in NE, through 31 Dec. Maybe a mini bow jam in Aug here before school starts?  Got to get back to shooting soon!  I plan to get some arrows down range at MOJam next week and keep practicing afterI get home - but the best laid plans of mice and oft times go awry!
Hawkdancer

Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2021, 09:24:01 pm »
Sept 1 is archery opener.  I worked it out where I'll be working and on call every day in August so I can have Aug 30 thru Sept 19 off.  Yeah-boy!  Going to do as much homework as possible, push my marriage to the brink with gear purchases, shoot as much as possible, hike with sandbags up and down any hill within call range, and go in with the intention of staying till I kill one or have to return for work.  Seeing as I've never camped out alone a night in my life, I'll probably make it two days.  But Huck Finn had me dreaming of such adventure since I was old enough to read, so I'm going to go in with a high degree of optimism.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2021, 12:02:35 am »
congrats on your bow,, next one will even be better ,,  :)