Author Topic: Natural Reflex vs Heated in Reflex  (Read 3321 times)

Offline Morgan

Re: Natural Reflex vs Heated in Reflex
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2021, 11:52:06 pm »
A lot of natural reflex comes out just bit cutting the profile of bow with out even bending it. Had one I'm working on yesterday, had 2.5" natural reflex in stave (not dried curve reflex) buit actual in tree. I profile bow on saw and checked it, (blank has never been stressed now just cut). It now retains 1. 3" of reflex. So, on the caul it went. I'm thinkin with a good slow tiller and getting a string on it while its heavy I can possibly retain 3". So, what I think use both Natural and some man made reflex and yer in good shape.

HH~

I’ve ran into this a lot. I work with hackberry for probably 80% of what I make and a lot of hackberry logs have crazy stresses in the wood that will make them contort all kinds of ways. I’ve had staves with 6” of natural banana like reflex lose down to 3 roughing out before any stress put on the limbs at all and be nearly flat after floor tillering. I’ve got to where I cook the fool out of the belly on natural reflex staves right before I start floor tillering. Then again right before brace. Helps hold what it is willing to hold.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Natural Reflex vs Heated in Reflex
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2021, 09:02:57 am »
I do the same on Hackberry.  Not so much on other woods, but Hackberry is near worthless without a good temper, so I hit it early and often.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.