Author Topic: Limg width  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Butch Speer

• St. Clair Mo.
Limg width
« on: June 16, 2021, 01:59:45 pm »
Going to MoJam again. After many years, I'm going to build a bow. A buddy is going to give me a 60 by 3.5-4" Osage stave. It's dry and ready to go. I draw 26" and would like to end up 45-47 lbs. What would be a good profile? Was thinking about A deep narrow handle. Thanks for any help.
God Bless
Butch
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Limg width
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 02:04:46 pm »
Osage can handle narrow limbs. With a 3.5 to 4" stave you could probably split this stave in half lengthwise and get two 1" to 1.5" staves.
1 3/8" is a good medium width.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

gutpile

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 03:05:00 pm »
agree with Pat.. 1.5 inch is plenty wide to 3/8 tips.. thickness is your weight..4 inch handle 1.5 fades.. maybe even shorter.. I draw 26 and most my osage are not over 60".. same design.. try to understand the grain before splitting if you do.. gut

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 07:50:29 pm »
1.25 is very doable. 1.5 is safer, especially if you have knots or pins to contend with. I have made them 1 inch wide and that is on the edge of narrow. I have made them 2 inches wide and that width is not necessary. 1.25 -1.5 is the sweet spot for me.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 07:54:43 pm »
I don't have anything else to add except good luck, pay attention and have fun during the bow building process.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Butch Speer

• St. Clair Mo.
Re: Limb width
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 09:17:36 pm »
Thanks folks. Been so long that I seem to have forgotten a bunch of stuff. When I start working on it, I hope some of it will come back.
God Bless
Butch
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2021, 04:05:52 pm »
cool beans Butch...looking forward to seeing what you have built when we get to MoJam next month.  :)   :OK
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Butch Speer

• St. Clair Mo.
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 02:08:04 pm »
Thanks Bob. Looking forward to seeing everyone. Pretty worked up about making a bow after all this time.
God Bless
Butch
- Erastus Wiman