Author Topic: western community bow  (Read 21848 times)

Offline Keenan

Re: western community bow
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2008, 06:56:55 pm »
 Gordon, I just talked to Dave, His input was that it won't be a true replica anyway because it's to long to be. And if we did a true replica most people wouldn't be able to shoot a bow that short. So with that said I think we are aiming for more of a "western styled" bow. So if you want to send it on over we can go from there or if you want to do more feel free to go for it. No harm done. ;D ;D ;D ;)  Keenan
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 07:35:23 pm by Keenan »

Offline Gordon

« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2008, 07:40:33 pm »
The stave is 63" long so you're right the tips could easily be shortened. And that would help mitigate both of the issues I described ealier :P

I feel better about it now. I'll align the tips and then let Dave and you figure out how best to proceed from there.

Thanks!
Gordon

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2008, 01:11:03 am »
I'm no expert, but I think everything is on track.  I, for one, have no desire to learn to shoot a twenty inch draw and think we should keep in mind that the eventual owner probably will want to draw closer to 28", too.  The native bows are an inspiration, but need modification to suit most of us modern folk.  After working on the stave, I think a thin sinew back is optional, but would be a safety factor since we don't know who the eventual owner will be.  Though I've got plans for putting in a bid when it finally gets auctioned off.  Do we have a plan for the organization/ charity this bow will benefit?

The latest addition of TBB has a chapter on Ishi's archery tackle.  Several bows are illustrated and the tips tend to be narrowed down to ~ 1 inch or less, so I think Gordon's well within the ball park.  The recurves are longer than what I had in mind, but seem proportional to the the longer length of the bow.
Almost all of the bows are illustrated to have a sinew wrapping around the shoulders of the pin nock.  Other tribes' bows have a similar wrapping of rawhide.  All done to prevent the shoulders from being split by the string ( I guess.)

There were a couple of people that said they would work on arrows and a bow sock etc.  How are those parts of the project going?  Is ther anybody interested in making a sinew string?  And, how about a quiver?

Ron

Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2008, 01:52:17 am »
good input Ron, I think we could widen the circle by having some others make arrows, string and quiver. I have a few syringa shafts if someone wants to use them. if we dont have the sinew, I have some deer rawhide we could use.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2008, 09:52:15 am »
Looks like this project is coming along,Looking good so far. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Gordon

« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2008, 12:58:27 am »
The recurves were not aligned so I took of that today. I utilized the setup pictured below to torque the limb while I apply heat. I have a stop below the wieght that will allow the limb to move only as far as I need it to go. They seem to align pretty well now. Keenan, I expect you may still have to do some fine tuning as the bow is tillered, but I will leave that to you. I'll make a shipping tube for the bow and then send it off.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Gordon

Offline Keenan

« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2008, 01:17:44 am »
 ;D ;D Looking Great Gordon. I love the weight set up,Like I said befor at least you use real weights.  ;) Seems with all the piles of steel around here I am always hanging square tube or channle iron or some piece of scrap iron.
  Thanks for all your work on this project, I'll try not to screw it up. Ofcourse I plan on having Dave supervise and looking over my shoulder just in case I goof I can blame him  >:D 
  Sounds like we are going to sinew them have Dave, do one of those incredible "work of art" paint jobs that he's famouse for.  Keenan

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2008, 01:24:33 am »
I can't believe I missed this! It seems impossible! This is great, looking forward to seeing the finished bow and set.
I would be thrilled to help, if I can. Is there anything I can do, or has everything been decided?
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2008, 03:26:35 am »
Sean, I don't think everything has been decided yet. I don't recall anyone signing up for the finish work or handle.
Gordon

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2008, 02:04:09 pm »
bow is looking good Gordon. Sean, we also need arrows and quiver. I think we were shooting for 40-50#s maybe a little more. what do you think Gordon?

Offline Gordon

« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2008, 04:12:34 pm »
There is plenty of wood on this stave. I'd vote for 50-55# - especially if the back is going to be sinewed.
Gordon

Offline 1/2primitive

« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2008, 11:36:30 pm »
hmmmm.....arrows and a quiver? I would be happy to do the arrows if that's all right. I would need some river cane/bamboo, though, and maybe we could get someone to knapp a few heads.
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline 1/2primitive

« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2008, 11:39:00 pm »
Wait, Kenneth, are you still up for arrows? If so, I might work a quiver(?)
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2008, 03:10:01 am »
Hi Folks,  I just thought I'd post a message to ping everyone and see what progress has been made in the last couple of months.  Gordon's last post showed some nice recurves being added.  Is there anything new to report?  How are all the ancillary projects ( string, arrows, quiver, bow sock, etc) doing.  If you're working on it let everyone know, or better yet post pictures.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers