Author Topic: Primitive Archer’s website security…  (Read 2577 times)

Offline organic_archer

Primitive Archer’s website security…
« on: October 06, 2023, 01:26:50 pm »
Can the moderators talk to someone and get the powers-that-be to update the security certificate on this website? It’s getting to the point where many of the new devices won’t let you access the PA forums at all.

There are a lot of cyber issues popping up out there, and accessing sites that aren’t protected is a risk for your personal info, bank info, and other online data. It’s been jacked up for a long time at this point. If they want the site to survive, someone should invest the time to fix the issue.

Edit : Surely I’m not the only one using PA who’s been frustrated with this.
Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows

Offline willie

Re: Primitive Archer’s website security…
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2023, 07:18:20 pm »
accessing sites that aren’t protected is a risk for your personal info, bank info, and other online data.

this has been mentioned before, but is not really an issue I don't think unless you are transmitting data (like a credit card number) to the site and need an encrypted connection.

perhaps I misunderstand how personal data is at risk. can you clarify how your personal info, bank info, and other online data would be at risk when visiting here if nothing is done?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 07:26:16 pm by willie »

Offline organic_archer

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2023, 07:35:04 pm »
Well, that’s best case scenario. The warning when I try to log on says “Your personal data is at risk”. More than anything, I think it will become an issue for people accessing the site. I have a newish phone, and there are days where it refuses to let me enter the forum.

Seems like a simple fix that could prevent future problems.

A quick google search gives this info:

“There are many potential threats associated with visiting unsecure websites. These include stealing sensitive information, altering exchanged data, redirecting to malicious sites, and engaging in man-in-the-middle attacks or eavesdropping.”

I believe unsecured sites leave a hypothetical hole in your IP address that allows outside entities to access other data stored on your devices. Computers have come a long way. It’s not like some basement hacker is working on your info. Artificial intelligence can run algorithms that mine millions of unprotected websites at the same time.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 07:46:59 pm by organic_archer »
Owner
Organic Archery

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2023, 05:00:12 am »
Accessing the site can be difficult

Offline airkah

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2023, 05:00:31 am »
Screenshot from my browser today.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 05:11:13 am by airkah »

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2023, 12:16:37 pm »
While I agree that updating the security certificate is the correct fix, most of the time you can override the browser complaints and either change a setting for it to stop complaining or tell it to go to the site anyway. You should never be completely blocked from accessing the site just because the security certificate has lapsed.

Mark

Offline organic_archer

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2023, 05:48:09 pm »
So the moral of the story is no one plans to bother with fixing it or talking to the site owners about fixing it. Gotcha.
Owner
Organic Archery

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2023, 04:13:00 am »
My guess is that a call to the hosting provider could easily solve the issue. Nowadays almost all hosting plans are provided with ssl encryption for free

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2023, 07:54:11 am »
"If they want the site to survive". They don't and it's been apparent for several years. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2023, 08:46:44 am »
"If they want the site to survive". They don't and it's been apparent for several years.

That's the conclusion I've been forced to.  I've asked about this over and over.  Whoever owns the site simply doesn't care.  I see lots of ads on the site, so somebody is making money off this, but apparently it isn't enough to be worth their time.  It's a shame.  This is one of the few online forums that is still somewhat active.  I sure would like to see it stay that way.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline organic_archer

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2023, 11:54:16 am »
Agreed. This forum might be the most extensive catalogue of primitive bowmaking knowledge ever collected. Would be a real shame if it meets its end over something so simple and negligent.
Owner
Organic Archery

Offline willie

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2023, 02:46:10 pm »

That's the conclusion I've been forced to.  I've asked about this over and over.  Whoever owns the site simply doesn't care.  I see lots of ads on the site, so somebody is making money off this, but apparently it isn't enough to be worth their time.  It's a shame.  This is one of the few online forums that is still somewhat active.  I sure would like to see it stay that way.

maybe a bit much to assume "they dont want the the site to survive"
perhaps something changed with site administration and the owners haven't found a cost effective solution in spite of some revenue from ads.

if it meets its end over something so simple and negligent

the http vs https warning will loose readership.
the "scary" warning is created by microsoft, apple or google on your device, and a bit overblown.

the more serious problem that might cause the site archive to be lost is,  without good site administration, if something serious were to happen with the hosting company and/or  proper backups are not kept by the owners, then if the site goes down, we may never see it back up.

perhaps we as a community should ask the owners  "how can we help?"

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2023, 10:36:40 am »
Apparently there are plans in place to fix this
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com