Author Topic: New and old toys in slowmotion (now with longbow pics)  (Read 1580 times)

Offline simk

New and old toys in slowmotion (now with longbow pics)
« on: April 17, 2022, 04:19:45 pm »
Lucky me! A friend of our archery club just gave me a surplus shooting machine. Very cool. From now on I will be able to do precise speed testing, even at 28" draw.
Today I then played a little with.
First I shot my old hornbow http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,68821.0.html. I was very surprised at how fast it shot 10gpp @ 28" (197fps).
https://youtube.com/shorts/3N4dGHwQNCk?feature=share
After that I played a little on my phone and got a nice slomo.  the vibrations look terrible in the vid.

Same I Idid with one of my laminated Longbow prototypes. This one is Boo/Maple/Yew, 41# @ 28" - 10gpp - 186fps - test passed :D
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/i8TXD9254Qk

I like the new setup and slomo vid - giving new interesting insights into my bows and providing solid numbers (-S

« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 05:16:07 pm by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline superdav95

Re: New and old toys in slowmotion
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2022, 11:51:30 pm »
Simon.  This is awesome!   I love your advanced horn bow.  I’m not sure how I missed this bow!    I’m building one similar to this right now actually.  Just letting the final layer of sinew to dry and cure.  Right now I’ve got 11” reflex after final sinew layer laid.  Strung backwards while it dries.  My levers look shorter then yours I think.  Mine are around 11” long. Working limb is around 16-17” I think.   I’m curious how much reflex if any you lost and how much you started with after sinew drying.  My version is molle style design also. I love your  finished bow.  Very neat work.  I hope mine turns out as nice and as fast.  I’m shooting for around 50lbs draw for mine. 

Very inspiring stuff

Dave
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2022, 08:33:35 am »
Always enjoy looking at your bows simk. Very impressive speed on those two. Have fun!
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline diliviu

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2022, 03:27:42 pm »
Impressive speeds!
What is the reflex of the boo/maple/yew, please?

Offline bassman211

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2022, 03:31:20 pm »
Are you testing those bows with a release?  Did you test any of them by just shooting your natural way? Are you shooting those bows with a static release, or fluid release. That all can influence test results. Just curious.

Offline simk

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2022, 04:29:18 pm »
thanx Steve!
thanx superdav! I have seen you making something like that and I'm sure you will succeed. Mine again had 13" reflex when I strung it after resting 2 or 3 months. thats one+ to what I started before sinewing. sinew probably does not change a given profile a lot imho.
it has a static release. got to be quick  :) I had shot the hornbow "natural" also but only 26 or 27" I think. If I remember right I got mid 180' 10gpp. But this machine seems very accurate - made three shots on the hornbow: 197,197,196...
I shot selfbows also on the machine...those seem slower than shot natural.
--- the queen rules ----

Offline simk

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2022, 04:44:06 pm »
I have a few longbow pics. made a couple of these. kept this one because of bad gluelines and testing. this one is 68" - 41@28" - 455gramms. Very comfortable shooter.  :)
--- the queen rules ----

Offline simk

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2022, 04:47:24 pm »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline bassman211

Re: New and old toys in slowmotion (now with longbow pics)
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2022, 08:22:52 pm »
Nice bows, and you will have fun with your chrony. The speeds you are clocking are excellent. it would take a dam good glass bow to shoot those numbers.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2022, 12:22:12 pm »
Excellent speed on those arrows.Now we are in the fast lane.I always like proving to FG bow makers the error of their ways.....ha ha.
Seriously about 5 years ago or so maybe more I got together with an FG bow maker and he made a shooting machine.As most bow shops do not house these machines.
It's a very good way to compare bows to bows as the human element is eliminated.Our general consensus was that the machine trigger shot the arrows around 5 to 7 fps faster than an archer does from his fingers.
Looking on line that is the general consensus other archers have come to too.
Nice I'm sure a smooth shooting long bow you made there too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bassman211

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2022, 01:01:19 pm »
Yes ED, shooting from a machine does pick up the speed, and a static release causes limb friction ,and slows the speeds. Nocks that fit right . String material etc. etc. Flight shooters know exactly how to get the most out their bow,  and arrow, and they take that all in to account when competing. I just look for average speed of the bow ,and arrow when I  am doing the shooting. Mostly now to see if my bow building is getting more efficient as I build the next bow. A Chrony can be a great aid for that.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2022, 01:24:12 pm »
Very cool.  I love watching the oscillation of the limbs after the shot.  Great speeds, too!
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline superdav95

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2022, 03:02:20 pm »
thanx Steve!
thanx superdav! I have seen you making something like that and I'm sure you will succeed. Mine again had 13" reflex when I strung it after resting 2 or 3 months. thats one+ to what I started before sinewing. sinew probably does not change a given profile a lot imho.
it has a static release. got to be quick  :) I had shot the hornbow "natural" also but only 26 or 27" I think. If I remember right I got mid 180' 10gpp. But this machine seems very accurate - made three shots on the hornbow: 197,197,196...
I shot selfbows also on the machine...those seem slower than shot natural.

Very cool.  I’m hoping mine delivers such great results.  In retrospect I should have done 12” or more reflex but ended with just over 11”.  Hoping to achieve a longer draw with this one too so we shall see.  Thanks again.   
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com