Author Topic: Update on a few things  (Read 1105 times)

Offline iowabow

Update on a few things
« on: March 05, 2023, 08:20:01 am »
I have not posted for a while so here is an update on some of my life. About three years ago I decided to complete my dream of becoming a pilot. At that time a flight school offered me a room above a hanger to stay in during my training. It took me 91 days to complete my sport pilot license during this time my brother and I repaired a 1946 Taylorcraft that I bought.  I used this plane to complete my private pilot license last year. I went on to study for my AGI advanced ground instructor license. Some of you may remember hanging out with my youngest son  at the Classic. He has completed four years of college (currently working on his masters) and will be entering the USAF as a pilot select through the ROTC.
I continue to do primitive presentations and assist new bow makers in my area. As far as hunting I had to take a short break form shooting my bow so my shoulder could recover from an injury. Currently I am planning to combine both of my interest and fly to primitive hunting and fishing opportunities. In a few weeks I will be fishing with an old high school fish buddy and plan to fly down in the old Taylorcraft.

I lost my password and could not get my email working but Pat B and Calendargirl helped be get my old account up and running again!

If your wondering about the Raku pottery and wood fire kiln I posted about in the past they are still up and running as well. In addition to all of my other activities we are on the back end of a remodel of the house. Feels good to get back to just playing… retirement is just around the corner also!
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

Re: Update on a few things
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2023, 08:27:03 am »
Photo of me flying and my friend John making his bow this week. Our bees in Iowa are doing great do to our mild winter.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2023, 09:06:36 am »
Welcome back, John. Looks like you haven't been loafing around in your absence.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2023, 09:31:47 am »
Good to see you back John. Sounds like you have been keeping busy.

Got my single engine land private pilot when I was a single man. Sure is a different view of our world. Haven’t been up in to many years now. Maybe get back to it again someday. Priorities have changed for now.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2023, 10:02:55 am »
Good to see you back John. Sounds like you have been keeping busy.

Got my single engine land private pilot when I was a single man. Sure is a different view of our world. Haven’t been up in to many years now. Maybe get back to it again someday. Priorities have changed for now.

Bjrogg
They really are time machines! Even a slow Taylorcraft cut a trip down fast.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2023, 10:28:35 am »
Mostly I just liked flying around locally seeing what I couldn’t see from the ground.

I did take a trip to Florida once. It was a great experience. I didn’t have GPS then. Just dead reckoning.  It would be much easier with GPS. Of course weather is always a concern too.

Nice to be able to go from point A to point B in a straight line if there isn’t any restricted or controlled airspace in the way.

Definitely a big need for commercial or ATP  pilots now. Your son should have a good opportunity for a career in  aviation if he leaves USAF. Be exciting to fly those military birds though.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2023, 07:17:01 pm »
Looking Good John!
Great work on all of your piloting!
Fly on out! I got room.