Author Topic: Elm recurves pulling out  (Read 1060 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Elm recurves pulling out
« on: August 04, 2023, 11:01:51 am »
I put in some short statics into an elm bow.  I boiled them for an hour then hit them hard with dry heat to “set” them.  A few hours tillering and they have halved the amount of recurve.  Is there any point in bending them back into shape or do I have to live with them as is?

Offline Hamish

Re: Elm recurves pulling out
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2023, 02:52:25 pm »
I would use dry heat to coax the recurves back a little, then glue on some laminations to stiffen the tips, and stop them from pulling out again.

Offline Juan Ant. Espinosa

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2023, 03:43:26 pm »
The elm I´ve used here in Spain, did some all right recurves without comming back (just a little bit) using steam.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2023, 09:52:38 am »
Any time I boil or steam in tips I always let them sit over night or longer to let them dry out some before bending
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2023, 10:30:50 am »
I've only made 2 or 3 recurved elm bows, all were 60" t/t for 50# to 55# @26" all with dry heat/oil. All came out great and none pulled out.
If steaming, I think I'd give them a few days to dry out then set the recurves with dry heat or like Hamish said, add a laminated underlay to prevent them from pulling out. I've done the underlays on other recurves with success.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC