Author Topic: Hickory harvest  (Read 5652 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Hickory harvest
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2023, 08:29:10 am »
I think the caption was something like; "When you cut too much osage you split the stuff until you pass out, when you come to return to splitting."

I used to cut as much osage as I could at one time, in the picture I filled about half my back yard with the stuff, I dragged it out of huge land clearing brush pile with a cable and my truck while the owners were lighting fire to the other end. I showed the owners one of my bows and they gave me permission to salvage the osage.

I worked on that osage for a month, my fingers and hands were swollen like sausages from all the drawknifing and I had to quit. I got most of it processed but did lose some to bugs and warping in the hot sun because I had enough.

After that debacle I never cut more than one tree at a time, I knew I could handle one large tree but not ten of them.   

Offline superdav95

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2023, 11:04:22 am »
I think the caption was something like; "When you cut too much osage you split the stuff until you pass out, when you come to return to splitting."

I used to cut as much osage as I could at one time, in the picture I filled about half my back yard with the stuff, I dragged it out of huge land clearing brush pile with a cable and my truck while the owners were lighting fire to the other end. I showed the owners one of my bows and they gave me permission to salvage the osage.

I worked on that osage for a month, my fingers and hands were swollen like sausages from all the drawknifing and I had to quit. I got most of it processed but did lose some to bugs and warping in the hot sun because I had enough.

After that debacle I never cut more than one tree at a time, I knew I could handle one large tree but not ten of them.

So true.  Lol
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2023, 06:57:35 pm »
I remembered that picture while I was into about my 4th day working on this stuff. I wouldn’t even think about trying to harvest more than 1 or maybe 2 trees. I’d kinda forgotten how much work is involved in it from when I did it last year. Didn’t take to long to remember though. I laughed the first time I saw it when you sent it last year and again when I looked it up this year..
I’m going to take a few days away from it and bug spray the ones I haven’t gotten to yet.
What do you all think about a elb from this stave?

Offline TimBo

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2023, 09:21:04 pm »
Wow, that's quite a crown.  I would be tempted to use the right side where it is flat if that would be wide enough.  It appears to be straight enough.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2023, 11:46:07 pm »
Thought about that TimBo. This tree was kinda strange it almost looked like two trees had grown
together. I split it down the two seams where it looked like the two had grown together. It was probably about 10 to 12 inches wide. I’ll take a closer look at it tomorrow. I think the other end has a  more typical grain.. I just thought it might make a elb but, probably just see if I can make a flat bow with it. Weird looking though..

Offline razorbak

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2023, 11:56:39 pm »
Man I’m envious of you guys that can get Osage. I cut a split a hickory log today and debarked it and it a serious propeller twist. In my neck of the woods it’s so hard to get good bow wood

Offline superdav95

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2023, 08:22:24 am »
Razorback.  Ya it’s sucks we can’t get Osage up here either.  But if you have access to hickory you are in good shape to make a bow that shoots just as well and perform equal to pretty much anything out there.  I find a fair bit of hickory and have preferred shagbark hickory.  It does get twists sometimes but Osage does as well.  There are “magical” things that can be done with with hickory over fire. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2023, 09:56:21 am »
There’s a guy named Dan Santana that rate’s his top 10 bow woods and he puts hickory first and Osage second.  The hickory I just harvested has propeller twist in every piece of it.. My Osage from last year had a lot of knots humps and not very good rings. So I guess my point is there’s no perfect stave..
I do like the fact I have access to Osage but like Dave said hickory is really good wood too and fire hardening makes it even better..

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2023, 11:41:50 am »
You have to study the bark on any bow wood before you harvest to be sure it doesn't have prop twist. The twist will show up in the bark too.
How long is that osage stave? Any chance of removing that end and still have enough to get a bow? If not I think I would try to center the bow tip in the center of that hump. Osage can take the high crown and I may only be at the outer limb.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2023, 05:52:19 pm »
Pat that shape runs most of the length of the stave. Half or more anyway. I’m not worried about it right now I ended up with 13 full sized staves and 9 billets out of my Osage. Most are really nice. Also have 6-8 pretty good hickory staves cleaned up.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2023, 05:56:07 pm »
Here’s the Osage, I’ve got a few that weren’t great as you can see on the top of the pile. 
And you can see that the hickory has some twist to it. I’ll choose wiser next time I cut one. 

Offline superdav95

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2023, 08:02:48 am »
Looks good mike!  Lots of work there

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2023, 11:38:21 am »
Thanks Dave. Lots of work involved in getting these staves done for sure. Going to be a while before I take the leap to get more. Funny thing though, I checked the moisture in the Osage and all I checked were 20 % or under and I checked one of the hickory and it was 30%. I’ve still got the nice piece of hickory I got from you. I have a bow laid out on it so it might be my next project.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2023, 09:52:59 am »
Nice.  Post your progress here when you get going on it.  That stick should get you a nice bow.  No pressure haha!  Based on what I’ve been seeing you post here last little bit you shouldn’t have any issues.  Hickory is pretty forgiving.  Hit me up when you get going on it if you need help or another set of eyes. 

Dave

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2023, 07:38:13 pm »
Will do, thanks