Author Topic: Backing Question???  (Read 2875 times)

Offline Key

Backing Question???
« on: May 29, 2008, 01:40:38 pm »
I am making an Osage board bow. My question is, can I put a reflex in the bow BEFORE I back it with hickory? Or do I have to back it first and than reflex the bow?
Roger

Offline Skeaterbait

Re: Backing Question???
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 01:58:33 pm »
Depends on how you plan to reflex the bow. If you are going to back the bow I would just put a Perry reflex in it, in my experience that will hold better than heat induced anyway

Offline david w.

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 02:02:05 pm »
i have a thread about glue up because i am making an hbo also. i think its 2 or 3 pages back.  Ill go find it.
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline david w.

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 02:03:31 pm »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,7250.0.html here ya go. i am glueing in 3 1/2" of perry reflex
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 09:05:15 pm »
Put the reflex in the bow when you back it. Floor tiller the belly so you have a nice even bend in both limbs first. This will give you a nice even bend to your stave after backing. The way I do it is to set the tip of each limb(with back glued to belly) on blocks(2" to 4" tall) resting on a 2x4 and draw the handle down to a 2x4 and clamp it.Then I run spring clamps out each limb(about 15 per limb, half on each side). When the clue up is done, you should have an inch or 2 to 3" of reflex.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jesse

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 09:18:30 pm »
What Pat said.   just make sure you clamp it before the glue starts to set ;)
                                 Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Papa Matt

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 01:45:50 pm »
Slightly different topic, just seeking advice...

Have any of you's ever made a flatbow from a sapling (2-3 inches in diameter)? Is such a thing even possible without applying some kind of backing? I'm thinking the back would be round with such a small diameter and thus impossible to get flat without violating the ring(s) and would therefore need a backing. Anyone know the answer to this?

Eric Garza

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 01:55:46 pm »
Hey Papa Matt,

I've made unbacked bows from saplings before.  I did it with hickory and white oak.  Both times I carefully decrowned the stave, and they held up fine.  After a year of use I sold one to a turkey hunter, and donated the other to a charity auction (fetched $230, if I recall).

Best,

-Eric

Papa Matt

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 02:01:05 pm »
Very cool, Eric. I'm planning to do this on a short Elm stick, only about 48". I would most likely make short little arrows for it and give it to my nephew or something. Let me be sure on something--Decrown means to cut into the growth rings, but be consistent the whole length, in other words you open the oute one or two rings but don't cut into the one below the whole lenth of the stick? Is that right?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 02:55:43 pm »
PapaMatt, sapling bows work great without decrowning, especially if you use one of the woods such as hickory or elm that are stronger in tension than compression-crowned backs may actually make a better bow than flat backs on some of these woods, kind of natural trapping of the cross section. I have made bows from small hickory, elm, and striped maple saplings that did well. It helps sometimes to make them a bit longer than usual.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.