Author Topic: osage drying time  (Read 2495 times)

Offline david w.

osage drying time
« on: May 18, 2008, 10:44:43 pm »
in early april i got some big 1 1/4" thick osage boards.  Theses are green boards.  How long do you think it wil take for these to dry?   these dont have any bark on them to hold in moisture. i just sprayed finish around the edges.
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

radius

Re: osage drying time
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 10:53:43 pm »
they'll dry faster if you flow some air over and around them, david...get a fan blowing on them, and you'll be happy...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 02:00:30 am »
David, The rule of thumb is 1" per year. You could cut a strip off of the board, take it down to near bow size and have a bow in a few months. With a hot box or similar dryer maybe even sooner. 
   What is the dimensions of the boards you have?  You could cut it into board stave size(1"x2") and stack with stickers to prevent twisting but allow good ventilation and when one is ready, they all are.        If the wood was green when you put it up, you might want to wait a bit more before cutting all of it. ..but one or 2 strips for bows shouldn't hurt.         Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 04:34:50 am »
If you lived here.....even sooner!!! Right now it has been in the High 90's and 10% humidity....tends to dry things reall too fast!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline david w.

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 12:59:34 am »
ok since my best osage is drying what if i cut it to 1"x2" and 1/2" thick how long would it take to dry?  Would it take any more than 4 months to dry?
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo