Author Topic: Pounds gained per inch cut, and other help needed.  (Read 2601 times)

Offline Bear

Pounds gained per inch cut, and other help needed.
« on: June 08, 2008, 11:54:43 pm »
The bow I "finished" at the Calssic just isn't finished after all. I can't get past the half-a$$ tiller I did on the upper limb, or the fact that it's under weight. The good news is that I have a little length to work with. The bad news is that I think I'm gonna have to take a good bit off the middle third of that limb to get it bending.

So if it's 45 @ 29 and 66" NTN and I would like to get 55 (50 minimum) @ 29, what should I do? It might not sound like I have much to work with but keep in mind It has a real short handle section to allow more limb for my draw length.
Just remember, you can't put the wood back on.

East Tennessee

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Pounds gained per inch cut, and other help needed.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 12:29:07 am »
Is it hickory or osage?  I don't know how many # per " but you could start by taking 1" off each limb tip and retiller. If one limb is stronger than the other, reduce the length of the weaker limb and retiller...or chalk this bow up for experience and get started on your next one. ;)      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 09:15:00 am »
They usually pick up 2/3 lbs per inch.On the Osage I have piked. Let see some pictures if possible.
Good to see ya posting,how's things going in the east. :) Is that the same bow,I thought you were finished with that one.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Bear

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 10:50:46 am »
Pat,

It's osage. I would just move on but my limitd bow building resources make more practical to work this one some more.

Pappy,

Going fine here. Miserable heat, but at least we're getting some rain this year. Hoping some of my pet white oaks produce.

This is that bow. The last half of the upper limb dosen't bend. I stopped working it because it was nice and smooth at my draw and was still a huntable weight. I was going to move on to a couple BL splits I have but I'm not really equiped for getting into a big chunk of wood like that ( insufficient vice, bench, tools, etc.) So I figure this one is really close to being a fine bow, why not invest my efforts there.

If I can it to 50 @ 29 and somewhere around 64" ( with good tiller) I'd be real happy.

East Tennessee

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 10:57:50 am »
That should be doable,just take your time and exercise it well between workings.The string
angle may come into play drawing it that far.I would probably flip the tip a little t help with that
and also add a little weight. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 07:20:44 pm »
Cut 1 1/2" off each end and you will be real close to 55#.   You should have plenty of length for that.  You could cut it to 63" that would make it 55# then tiller.  You will loose a little weight, but you could heat treat the back after you get the tiller you like and get a few pounds back.   Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline shamus

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 11:12:01 am »
You usually gain about 4# per every inch cut. An inch off each limb will give you about an 8# increase in draw weight.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 03:38:54 pm »
The truth of the matter is we cannot tell you how many pounds per inch every bow will gain.  To say 3 or 4  or 8 could be true for one bow but not another.  It has very much to do with bow length and draw weight.  It is about percentages.  I did the math and came up with cutting off 3" total to get to 55#. For this bow that is about 3 1/3 pounds right now.  The shorter it gets the more it will change.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Bear

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 06:23:03 pm »
Thanks for all the help guys. I'l' keep ya'll updated once i get started.

East Tennessee