Author Topic: New points  (Read 5513 times)

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
New points
« on: July 03, 2008, 11:10:19 pm »
Here is what I was busy making today.
Brazing rod melted on to some nails. They weigh between 80 to 100 grains.
Not to bad for my first attempt ;)
Will try and shoot it tomorrow. Spins real nice.
Thanks to Pat for giving me a couple to try. And use for a template.
T.J.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: New points
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 11:48:57 pm »
Nice, TJ. Longer nails will give you more weight.   
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nugget

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 12:55:08 am »
Had some longer but the heads were too small to use.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 12:59:01 am »
  Nice TJ, I thought you got those from Kenneth when I saw them.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 01:20:50 am »
Very nice. It is amazing what a bunch of primitive boys can do with just the stuff they have laying around. 
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline nugget

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 08:21:09 am »
Eddie I got one from Pat that he got from Kenneth I think. I liked it so I had to copy it.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 04:15:53 pm »
  I wish I hadn't gave all mine away now. I think I'd like to try mounting them in the cane with JB weld. I'm thinking you wouldn't have to wrap them then. It'd make it easier coming and going in the target.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 05:56:16 pm »
 Wow good idea Tj,  Those look good. Here I have a steel fab shop and have worked steel all my life, but hadn't thought of something like that.  Maybe have to make a few.  Thanks for sharing

Offline nugget

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 09:08:46 pm »
I was a little intimidated by trying to make my own. But heck all I would ruin would be some nails and some brazing rod.
Oh yeah that reminds me I need some more brazing rod and nails.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 09:20:36 pm »
I got a handfull of those from Kenneth - have yet to mount them. Darn good idea though :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 09:44:45 pm »
Whats braizing rod? And how did you melt it onto the nails?
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline nugget

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 09:55:27 pm »
Brazing rod is used to weld metal together. It is used with an Oxygen Acetalyne torch. It looks almost like a Arc welding rod.
The brazing rod works alot like when you solder wires together,

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 12:10:22 am »
It works exactly like when you solder wires together. A brazing rod is brass, usually covered in fllux - all different diameters. You heat up the two parts your welding together equally with oxy/ acetelene and dip your brazing rod in - they become as one. That's kinda vague, but it's easy doin's :)..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 01:45:44 am »
Big problem for me. No brazing rod and no torch!  :o
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline nugget

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 08:35:03 am »
No problem . Pick them up next time you go to Lowes or Home Depot. Map gas  would probably work also.