Author Topic: Arrow nock kicks to right  (Read 13183 times)

Offline Don

Arrow nock kicks to right
« on: September 02, 2008, 06:00:28 pm »
Man I'm full of questions today or at least full of it. ;D
Anyway I recently finished a oak bow for the tiller practice and this thing shoots great.
My problem is the nock of the arrow kicks right in flight.
The bow is 45@27. I'm shooting 40/45 cedar w/125 tips.
Any ideas on what I should try?

Don

Offline tom sawyer

Re: Arrow nock kicks to right
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 06:08:53 pm »
L/R issues are generally spine related.  Either the arrow is flexing too much, or too little and bouncing off the arrow pass.  My guess is the arrows are overspined for the bow.  Selfbows are often on the low side of energy output for a given poundage, and a 27" draw further weakens things as far as the standard spine charts are concerned.  To weaken them you could try heavier tips, or try a lower spine arrow.  Or a longer arrow, but lengthening an arrow isn't all that easy.

Or you might be doing something with your release, not getting a clean release can torque the arrow and result in L/R problems.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Dano

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 06:20:25 pm »
How wide is the bow at the arrow pass, you can get away with about 3/4" at that point. I usually work this area down untill I get good arra flight.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 06:50:53 pm »
Everthing I've read states that if impact is consistently left, the arrow is too heavily spined, and vice versa for right impact. If I was you, i'd try a 100 grain head, and retest. Remember, you will increase spine by shortening the shaft or using a lighter head. The spine values on shafts are just a starting point. You have to experiment to get good arrow flight. Also, check that your arrow nocks are not too tight on the string. if you have to really push them on hard, they're too tight. Also, FF strings usually requires heavier spine. Good luck, and keep trying different things, until you get what you want.

Offline Dano

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 07:39:25 pm »
 "Also, FF strings usually requires heavier spine. " ADB where did you hear that??

Nevada

Offline Don

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 08:41:04 pm »
First Thanks for moving. My mistake.

Dano. I have the shelf cut fairly close to center. I could go a bit more but I would be at center then.
The arrows don't hit target right or left, they just fly nock right. They hit target where i want them.
I may try longer shafts and or 145 gr. tips. I'm thinking the spine is a bit week.

Don

Offline Dano

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 09:04:43 pm »
They do sound weak, but more tip weight or longer shafts won't help, they will make the shaft weaker.. As ADB said the lighter point may help.

Nevada

Offline Don

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 09:37:27 pm »
Well problem solved. I had said spined week, I meant to heavy.
I found some 145 gr. tip in my parts box. Put them on the same 40/45 shafts and straightend right out.
For  a $6.00 board it sure shoots good.
Thanks for the help.  Don

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 10:24:36 pm »
I hate it when I'm right!

I do agree that FF can let you use a slightly heavier spine, because the string is lighter and results in more energy transfer to the arrow.  A faster arrow, means an arrow that flexes a bit more.  If you were right on the edge of a spine rating, it might make a difference.  Mims and company are always talking about how you can gain as much as 15-20fps from a FF string, versus B50.  that could be a spine category.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO