Author Topic: Limb twist after brace  (Read 6774 times)

Offline Don

Limb twist after brace
« on: September 21, 2008, 01:01:02 pm »
Sorry to bother, but have run into a problem.
This is a oak board bow I'm making for a friend.
I'm at short string and 4" brace. At rest the upper limb is flat but at low brace it has a twist.
Both sides of this limb are of equal thickness so one side is not thicker then the other.
Also it is backed with hemp.
I not sure what to do.
Should I remove wood only from the strong side of the upper limb as I continue to tiller?
Thanks Don

Offline Gordon

Re: Limb twist after brace
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 02:20:22 pm »
Unless the twist is really bad and pulling the string off-center, you may not need to worry about it. I've made lots of self-bows with twisted limbs with no ill effect.
Gordon

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 04:41:55 pm »
I agree with Gordon. I've ended up at final tiller with limb twist, but unless it's severe, don't worry about it. I've ruined a couple of bows by trying to get rid of it. If the bow ends up shooting fine, just forget about it.

Offline Don

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 08:07:15 pm »
Well Thanks Guys.
I tried to get rid of it but just wouldn't go away.
It tiller out good and looks good at rest but when you string it ,wow.
It wouldn't bother me so much if I new it was me that did it or just in the wood.
Anyway I put a few break-in arrows through it and a few arrows on target, and it does shoot OK.
I think I'll go with some Hickory after this. I've had alot of trouble with red oak, the store here have nothing worth
a darn.

Thanks again  Don

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 08:25:47 pm »
ive heard if you cut the noc on one side of the limb(not sure which side though) you can help get rid of twist
read that on a thred on another site. i did do it on a little tiny hedge bow that i made,took awhile to get it figured out but it worked,once again though dont remmber
which side i cut deeper
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 09:51:27 pm »
Don....don't worry about it...This is a Silk Backed Pyramid Bow that I built for my Dad from a Board I bought at  Home Depot....sometimes you just get a Piece ofWood that has a Mind of its own....and no matter what I did the Prop Twist stayed in it....so I gave up on it ...and my Dad has been shooting it religiously for three years now....and it still shoots great....but looks really Crappy when you look at it from behind and can see the twist.....go figure!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 09:53:14 pm »
ohh thatis nasty to look at,but it looks like the string is still down the middle of the handle.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 09:55:06 pm »
yep..string lines up fine...and it has no Hand Shock and drills them right where you look...so It was a Keeper....no matter how Fuggly!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 10:20:43 am »
If it shoots fine then don't worry a out it. But to remove the twist you remove wood from the other side because it twists to the weak side. Cutting the nocks deeper on 1 side is to fix string alignment.  If it is off center to the right then cut the nock deeper on the right side of both limbs. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Don

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 09:43:18 pm »
Wow that really did twist, mine is not quite that bad but still twisted.
Ive been shooting it and it actually shoots good.
Still trying to decide if I'll give it to my buddy. Hate to give him something thats not right.
One thing about it I'm really enjoying making these.

Don

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 10:57:41 pm »
Thats what matters Don....have funa and learn as you go.....if it breaks...learn from it....and make another one.....I for one have broke my share.....like someone on here has said before....If you aint breaking em....you aint building em!!!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 11:04:09 pm »
heck ive busted them,wrecked them with tools,worked too fast and caused hinges,heck ive got one right now that after about 500 arrows
developed a splinter up the back(on sliver my little osage bow) now i gotta go get me a deer so i have sinew to repair it.

every one i make,i make with the premise of learning something from it,that way if it does break im not too disappointed because i know i will
learn from it.i learn all the time

tim