Author Topic: Patch, back or thread n glue?  (Read 3264 times)

Offline Tim B

Patch, back or thread n glue?
« on: November 02, 2008, 01:06:31 pm »
I was given this bow which I believe is Yew and the back has a couple of minor problems. The worse of the two is the back has the sap wood lifting on the bottom limb for about an inch starting 3.5" away from the string groove. What do you Yew guys think I should use for a fix? A patch, thread and glue or back it?

Offline YewArcher

Re: Patch, back or thread n glue?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 01:08:21 pm »
A picture would help. How old is the bow? Does it have any information lenght, weight, maker etc?

Steve

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 10:12:56 pm »
i would use tbIII under the split and wrap untill dried completely,then wrap with sinew
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 11:21:03 pm »
same here....lift the Splinter...get some glue under it...clamp it till dry...and either wrap with Sinew and Hide Glue....or some good Silk String and Super Glue works good too......
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 11:42:39 pm »
I fixed a similar problem on one of my bows  a few weeks ago. I strung my bow so the splinter raised a little, shot the crack full of superglue, unstrung the bow, wrapped it with braided nylon string serving material( a string server is just right to keep tension on the string while you make the wrap) and soaked the wrap with superglue. Killed a deer with the bow last Wednesday.

Offline bcbull

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 10:15:07 am »
  id shoot it fill of super glue  than i d stop right there   from that point  id rawhide back this bow  full legth   looks like this piece got totaly dryed out and not  reydrated  properly  and  if  thats the case  you r bound to have some more raise on you thats why  id rawhide it for stafty   once thats done   then if  ya wanted to  wrap some sinew or somehting   i would  but   rawhide  is  what i see fixinin this plm   befor you go any  futher  im sure  some of the other yew guys can help ya more than i can   good luck

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 10:18:51 pm »
whats wrong with 8 percent??? Thats normal for where I live......
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Tourer

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 10:50:45 pm »
I sort of looks like the number one caveat, "don't never ever cut into the outer growth ring of the back," of self bow carving has been broken on this stave.
Kick me if I'm wrong , Please!
Just an observation from a rank amateur. Just got into this game in the last few days, signed in to this "e-group" this evening. Hoping to make good on a dare/challenge from a colleague. Next hunting season with primitive gear or bust.
From the edge of Yew Country

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 10:48:31 am »
Hi Tim, I agree with all here. Pull the splintes up a bit and then do a wrap. Sinew and hide glue can give you a lot of strength with minimum amount of materail and it will look almost clear (see the sinew tip wraps on my thred "sioux double curve bow"). That will give you an idea of what it will look like. Then you put a wrap on the other limb at the same distance from the tip just to balance the bow out a bit. There are bows that are wrapped like that that are 20-40 years old that still function.

I would also guess that that crack is right on a ring violation? Any chance we can get a better close up of the back of that bow from a few angles? Your problem may not be moisture contenet but a violated back. A lot of people thin sap wood on yew by diminsion not by growth ring. there are a lot of sucsessfull bows done this way, however.........you always run a risk with violated rings. Its hard to tell on your pictures if you have violatins but with some better close up we can tell. If they are violated then I would recomend backing the bow with rawhide.

As far as your MC goes where do you live?

Steve

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 09:08:17 pm »
Tim, If you are at the poundage that you want then I would not back it with sinew. I would do the rawhide or linene or somthing on those lines. The rawhide will not be affected by MC at all, use TB2 to put it on and you will be all set. Have you built many bows?

Steve